SEALANT ON HEADBOLTS

• Sponsors (?)

At least thread sealant on the bottom bolts since they are open to the jacket. Other than that I don't think it's needed. Just make sure you use the right torque for whatever compound you decide to use.

to help you out, i went 75 ft lbs, with 30 wt oil, it is gonna vary on the torque whether you use their lube on the bolts and washers or motor oil. their lube is less b/c it generates less friction.

I also used Permatex thread sealer(teflon paste) and have had no issues( used this product many times and like it a lot)

good luck

jason

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything like that :nono:

but ... I can see a different side to this search thing

I often tell peeps to search out info. Even all the more so when I know it has been covered many, many times for two reasons:

1) I know for certian they'll have no trouble finding the answer

2) Main reason...at least for me...Can't remember the answer :rlaugh:

Lot of times ... I get my answers to help peeps based on a 30 second search I did just prior to my post :shrug:

We really do have a lot of good, versatile, and trustworthy info on 94-95 :SNSign:

I can't always remember the details but, I usually can remember we had a discussion about it :)

Besides ...... whatever you want to know about ..................

Just use JT in your search ...... he's got it covered :hail2:

Grady

Thank you everyone for your help. The reason I asked was I did a search and came up with four different answers. From what I see some people use different torque values for different heads ( aluminum or iron ) and for stock head bolts versus ARP.

Joe- I here you there. I have searched many topics before and have found several different answers and usually start another post to get one final and definate answer.

For the rest of you guys, sometimes it is better to be safe then sorry, especially if you are new at this game.

JOEGTS said:
Thank you everyone for your help. The reason I asked was I did a search and came up with four different answers. From what I see some people use different torque values for different heads ( aluminum or iron ) and for stock head bolts versus ARP.

Just to clarify for you, ARP recommends 65 ft-lbs final torque for all aluminum heads. Cannot comment on iron heads.

And since you absolutely cannot use stock bolts (torque to yield), the only ones to use are ARP. I think 75 ft-lbs on iron heads is plenty sufficient.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Just to clarify for you, ARP recommends 65 ft-lbs final torque for all aluminum heads. Cannot comment on iron heads.

Scott

I dug through all my old notes when I was putting my stuff together.

My notes from talking to the tech at ARP for my AFR heads using their bolts was 65 lower & 70 upper using sealant on all bolts for uniform tq readings.

My documentation that came with my AFR's called for 70 on all bolts.

Grady

Quote from AFR Website :

HEAD BOLT TORQUE:
Apply moly-oil mixture to washers, and area around head bolt to prevent galling and improper torque readings. Torque to 70 ft/lbs. for 7/16" bolts or studs (289 or 302) or 100 ft/lbs. for 1/2" bolts or studs (351W) in three or four steps following the factory tightening sequence. Then tighten the long (upper) head bolts or studs to 80 ft/lbs. (7/16") or 110 ft/lbs. (1/2"). A re-torque is recommended after initial start-up and cool down (allow 2 - 3 hours for cooling). Sealer should be applied to all head bolts or studs that enter into the blocks water-jacketing system. Permatex is a good general-purpose sealer.
---------------------------------

Im also a little bit confused some places says 65 lb , others 70 and others like AFR said 80 lb on upper

the Felpro instruction (1011-2) says something like 65-70 and 80 for upper ,

so i think is a little confusing for some of us that its our first time doing an assy.

Sequence ::
--

mustang94-98_v8_50_f1.jpg

Attachments

• mustang94-98_v8_50_f1.jpg
    mustang94-98_v8_50_f1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 133
moIo - I would follow what the heads and gasket instructions say: 65-70lbs for the bottom and 80lbs for the top. The ARP bolts can take that easy as well as the head bolt threads in the block...I would worry about the sealer (gaskets)...