Searched to no avail...

My GT is automatic and I was told that the center bolt can be a real pain in the ass to take off. My question is should I try and take it off with the belt still attached or just put some of the PB plaster once I take off the pulley?

• Sponsors (?)

With the belt attached will I be able to get the pulley off. Or am I just leaving the belt on until I have loosened it and then I take off the belt to to get everything else off.

Okay I got it. Now I am having trouble loosening the damper retaining bolt. Chilton states to use a holding tool for the flywheel, what tool can I use. Or should I try some lub and let it sit to see if it will come out.

You dont have a flywheel - you have a flex plate instead.

That is a way to do it, but it would be a real pain. Some guys rig a brace with a prybar across the pulley to keep it from turning. I have not done that method though.

Do you have air tools?

Good luck.

Law, the only easy one is one I wont even recommend. If you search, you will find people who put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and then they disable the ignition and fuel system and bump the starter. I WONT recommend that for the very obvious reasons you can see, but some folks do it that way.

Otherwise, finding a way to hold the motor from turning over is about it. have you tried to push the breaker bar real quick (rather than slow and hard)? That kind of mimics an impact gun. Ditto for hitting the breaker with a 4# hammer. When I have a smaller fastener that is stuck and that cant be leveraged out, I will pound on the wrench with my fist. This pounding breaks it loose. Same idea here.

Guys use prybars, etc to wedge stuff up, etc. Or put it together and find a close shop that can blap it with the air gun for you (probably for free) and then tighten it just enough to get home.

I would say you could get a cordless or plug-in impact gun, but I have never used one so I dont know how well they work. I did once use a 12 volt (plugged into the cigar lighter) impact gun (20 bucks at wally mart) and it actually loosened lug nuts.

That is all I can think of bud. Good luck!

Try using a large screwdriver and wedging it between the pully and one of the bolt heads on I think its the timing cover or oil pan cover. I have an electric impact wrench and it does a decent job of breaking bolts - try and rent one. But my air impact wrench does the better job. Keep working at it.
Peace

Al

Well after a day and half I got fed up and went to Checkers and bought a really nice impact wrench for 30.00. Come to find out I still need some additional parts to make it work which I did not have and unable to get because I have no car and I am watching my kids so to make a long story short I pryed a wrench in between so it would keep the crank from turning but a breaker bar on there and I got. I know its kind of pathethic but I dont care I got it. Thanks for the help fellows.

You mentioned a new dizzy was installed. Is that short for distributor? If so, where did you purchase your distributor. The reason I ask this question is because I purchased a remanufactured one from Advance and my car ran like crap and would ping under load. After two days of frustration, I decided to reinstall the stock one. Problem solved! Now I have a MSD Pro Billet 8455. Hope this helps and good luck.

I must be slow but I cannot figure out how harmonic puller works. That combo yoke only allows me to put one bolt back in the damper plus the center bolt? The picture in the chilton and haynes has three bolts in the damper plus the center bolt. I dont get how it works...instructions suck.

Im stumped. The best I have so far is that I have two bolts threaded into the balancer along with the center bolt threaded. Now what do I do? I have all the bolts threaded and the balancer just spins, I dont get how I am supposed to remove it with the puller. Am I doing something wrong?

law, are you trying to remove the balancer? It's pressed on real good, so once you take the center bolt out, then here's what you do.

1. Thread the long bolt that came with the balancer puller through the yoke, balancer, and thread it into the crank.
  2. Thread in three bolts through the yoke, into the balancer.
  3. Then remove the center bolt, it should have a washer or something on there between the balancer and yoke so when you unthread it, it takes the yoke (and balancer that's bolted to it) with it.

I hope that helps, let us know if you need something else!

law said:
Im stumped. The best I have so far is that I have two bolts threaded into the balancer along with the center bolt threaded. Now what do I do? I have all the bolts threaded and the balancer just spins, I dont get how I am supposed to remove it with the puller. Am I doing something wrong?

Been following along with the posts in your thread and until now ... you were covered.

What you describe here sounds to me to be a steering wheel puller.

This is a hb puller!

One big bolt in the middle surrounded by three bolts.

37824-t.gif

Grady