Searched your newb thread still need help

darthcual

Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I current own a 93 5.0 coupe that I want to turn into a toy only car. So for my DD I'd like to own a 2.3 turbo charged. Question includes, what years were these offered, What do I need to watch out for, How much should I expect to pay for one in very good condition(In Texas)? Additionally, I saw a thread in this forum on how to change a N/A into a turbo model but would it be easier to just search out a turbo model to begin with? Thanks for Any help.

Edit* want the t-5

• Sponsors (?)

Well, here's the deal.

First off, the turbo engine was never offered in an '87-93 bodystyle Mustang from the factory.

There were some Turbo GT's made back around '83-84 or so that were EFI, but they're pretty rare.

Also the SVO was made from '84-86. EFI, 5-lug, koni shocks, lots of neat stuff. Unfortunately some body parts for these cars are SVO-specific and getting harder to find, plus SVO's are becoming collector cars now and tend to demand higher prices.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching just because I own one, but if you're looking for a daily driver, might I suggest an '87-88 Turbo Coupe? They have the 190 hp turbo engine, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, 3.55 gears, ABS, etc. You can usually pick these things up super cheap (I got mine for $1250), they're awesome cruisers, and they still get pretty decent gas mileage. Downsides are that it's a good bit heavier than a Fox mustang, and it's got more electrical gizmos that could possibly go out. Actually, even the earlier Turbo Coupes are good ('83-86), while they don't have four wheel disc and some of the other neat stuff the '87-88's have, they do have the 160 hp non-intercooled engine (with a T3) and they're lighter than the '87-88 cars. I see a lot more '87-88's for sale than the earlier ones though.

thanks for all the advice I will print this page. I was totally uninformed about the turbo models. I assumed because I saw them in my Haynes manual that they were 87-93's. Thanks for setting me straight Red LX and Doctor.