Seat repair kit?

• Sponsors (?)

Mark89coupe said:
Is there such thing as a seat repair kit?
My drivers seat is on the floor, the springs are broke or missing.
Any suggestions if no kit is available.

There are springs on the underside of the seat that could have popped off. Pull the seat and take a look at it..

If your seat is totally trashed -- your best bet is to get a new seat from a junkyard..The goal is to find a completely working seat.. The fabric can be swapped from your broke seat to the junkyard seat.. I just performed this procedure last weekend to cure my ghetto leaning seat issue.

How do you swap material?...I have an '89 GT and love the seats and they are in great shape except they are stained. I saw that 5.0 Resto has complete kits to redo my seats for $399. How do the old ones come off and the new ones go back on? Thanks.

Mark, I would go to junkyard as suggested to find replacement seats you would be suprised how good of shape some of those are in, ask me how I know :)

dbdragracning, the material is held onto the seats w/ hog rings with which you will need the special tools, that come with that kit, to put it all together. Remember, take your time rushing thru a job like this will show poor results. Good Luck

Im a big fan of upholstery shops OR buying complete seats

For about $250 a front seat
I can get all new upholstery, the way I want, and they put in all new foam and fix springs and stuff while in there.

$399 + delivery from LRS is great if you want the most original look, and it does include the back, but your foam will still be original unless you change it, you will need to install this yourself, and you will need to fix the springs too.

Another route is to look for perfect seats ready to go. They are out there. I am selling a cherry-pie (like less than 20K on them) set of Black tweed sport seats so I can generate the cash to have my original LX seats re-upholstered. Normally I would keep the Black seats but I want to keep my car original which is why I want to put the original seats back in.

There are perfect seats out there (like mine if you look and are patient) that you can simply bolt in and go.

It was $20 for a junkyard seat and then an hour or so to swap the fabric. :)

It all comes apart pretty easily.. Take out the headrest, undo the clip under the seat back that holds the seat back fabric together.. Seat back cover slides right off.. Then undo the bolts that hold the back and the seat together. Then undo the seat rails.. The lower fabric then just clips right off from the underside.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.