SEATS!

Mar 20, 2009
In the middle of replacing the convertible top myself (thanks for the help i've received on here)

got the back seat out and ditched it as its all stained and disgusting pretty much. I'm gonna fashion my own rear seat delete.

But for the front seats, they need replacing too. Not as bad as the rear ones but bad enough.

I dont think I can afford OEM black seats. They're hard enough to find and hella expensive. But there are TONS of these universal seats all over the place. anyone try installing those types? which ones did you install? how dificult was it? any customer work?

thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

try these i've had them in for almost a year and very happy with quality and comfort. almost a drop in install too. 2 mounting holes matched up and just had to drill the other 2.
Rugged Ridge Racing Sport Style Front Seats - JCWhitney

I like these seats. I entered my vehicle info though and it told me no go (94gt convertible). Did you have to enter a different vehicle? I was trying to calculate shipping. These seats with shipping might just fit under my budget.

no you won't find anything for a mustang listed they market for JEEP only. but i treated them like universals. two hole matched up to mustang stock seat sliders and only had to drill out two new ones to finish. had to space the seat off track with some fender washers. but very easy took me like two hours i think.

yes was able to keep power seat. i just took switch out of old seat pluged in the harness and left the switch on the floor between seat and door jamb. will be fabing a mount this summer when weather changes enough that i want to be outside that long.

Bringing this thread back because the convertible top is in, and the carpet and center console (which I have in posession) are going in next. Would like to replace the seats while I have them out.

The ebay seats talk about needing brackets which are sold seperately.

For instance an ebay ad says:

** These seats are designed to be a universal fit for most vehicles with appropriate seats mounting brackets. They do come with universal adjustment sliders on the seat frame. These racing seats do REQUIRE mounting brackets for installation, however the mounting brackets are not included with the racing seats. Customers need to purchase the mounting brackets separately.

But theres never any kind of link to any specific mounting brackets. Are they referring the the mounting brackets already installed with the stock seats? Can the stock mounting bracket be used in conjunction with aftermarket seats?

I dont want to spend a boatload of money on seats and have them shipped only to find i need even more stuff or they wont fit.

any suggestions?

many seats have holes in the included mounting brackets into which you can insert bolts of the proper length for your application. do these?

if so, then all you have to do is get nuts and bolts at home depot of the right lengths, drill your holes in the floor in the right places, and use spacers or washers to lift the seats over any ridges in the floor. i suppose that would be considered the "ghetto" way to do it, but it should look and work fine.

on a related thought, did you do the top yourself, and if so, how did it go?

I ended up locating some '97 cobra seats. Black/leather for $400 locally.

Thanks for the replies, they might satisfy future google searches!

and yes I did the top myself. It wasnt "hard", rather tedious. In the end I saved myself a boat load of money. I was quoted at $2200 to replace it. After parts and tools I probably spent $550. Id do it again in a heartbeat.

That's be us Chythar!

And yes we are currently gearing up to release the SN95 GT Front Buckets for the 94-98/99-04 Mustang. We also have the front seat foams ready to roll. Rear seats will be along shortly!

From there we'll be focusing on the Mach 1, SVT Cobra, & other unique SN95 seat offerings. I'll keep you all posted.