Seized 289?

Stangboi4444

Jul 13, 2016
I was driving on the interstate in my 1970 ford mustang which has a 289 overbored 60 and when I hit about sixty-five, I had a major loss of power. I pulled over to the side of the road to let it cool off in case it had overheated even though my gauge didn't indicate it had. I have had issues with my cooling system including a still leaking radiator that I fill every time before I drive. I waited twenty minutes then drove it about three minutes to my house. When I got there, the starter went out and I replaced it. Then the engine would not turn. I tried turning it by hand and that didn't work. I took out the spark plugs and it still would not turn over. I then dropped the oil pan. It looks good under there as far as I can tell. What do I do now? Does the engine sound seized? How and why did this happen if it is seized? Also there was not water in the oil.

• Sponsors (?)

If you can't turn it over with the plugs out ,i would say it seized up .Could be anything from a spun bearing to broken rings to a dropped valve .Since it didn't seize all at once ,i would say probably a spun bearing .Does it have an oil pressure gauge ,and what did it show at the time ?

I did try the socket on the balance bolt. I got up under there and noticed that one of the sets of pistons on the crankshaft looked more dry than the others so I took the holders off it and the bearing was slung. Thank you for your help.