Selecting A Single Plane Intake For Efi

xsi3rr4x

Mar 25, 2011
Hey guys, I'm looking to convert my older 5.0 to fuel injection and am looking into the Holley HP EFI multiport kit, the main deal about this kit is that you take a single plane intake and drill out the holes for the fuel injectors, the only problem I'm having with this is that all of the single plane intakes that I see available are for higher rpm ranges.
Reading over the documentation in the instruction manual for this kit reads
*********************************************************************************************************************
"The easiest style of manifold to convert is a single-plane type intake manifold. A single plane intake manifold is not recommended with mild engines with carburetors, as they usually experience a loss in low-speed torque. Some of this is due to a poor vacuum signal to the carburetor. This is not a problem with EFI, as the EFI is programmable and the proper amount of fuel is easily programmable.

A dual-plane intake manifold has longer runners that enhance lower RPM torque. However, it is difficult and usually impossible to use a solid length fuel rail with a dual plane intake.

Testing has shown that EFI overcomes much of the typical loss in low RPM torque that usually occurs with a carburetor and a single plane intake."
*****************************************************************************************************************
So does this mean that the RPM range of the intake doesnt matter and that the fuel injection will make it so that I have good torque throughout the whole RPM range?
If so than I might as well go for an intake that has the holes drilled out for multiport injection. Such as
Edelbrock 29285, Edelbrock Victor Series EFI Intake Manifolds | Edelbrock - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS
or maybe the intake offered by FAST
Single Plane EFI Intake Manifold, Ford 289/302 Manifold Fuelairspark.com

Any help with more information on this would be extremely helpful :) thanks!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Whats the rest of the combo?

The victor jr is somewhat commonly coverted to efi, and i think trick flow now offers single-planes with injector bosses, but haven't heard much about them.

The super vic usually takes some milling and port work to make match up to heads other than edelbrock, but it does work well. May not be an issue with a lower end build.

I can't imagine the Holley set up being easier or cheaper than just pulling the OE parts you need from a donor car?

Best advice you have gotten so far unless there is something you haven't told us...

Explorer GT40 would be my choice for an inexpensive part. Flows good, runners are in the right RPM range. If you don't like the flow numbers, TMoss ( http://www.tmossporting.0catch.com/ ) can port the lower for you for a reasonable price.

Yeah, im starting to lean to different alternatives, I am really interested in using the holley HP ECU for the self learning capabilities, but still am interested in learning advanced tuning later on. Im also interested in using the holley digital dash also which is only compatible with an holley ecu....
I'm pretty new to fuel injection, so if I were to go for the explorer or cobra type of intake manifold I would obviously need a throttle body, but what other sensors would I need to get everything working right? I know I'll still need oxygen sensors, but do I need to set up some sort of MAF sensor and such as well? Or are their any kind of throttle bodies that have most of the stuff built in just like the holly kit I was originally going for?

Let me recommend a book tat will help get you started. It has all the sensors and diagrams for 5.0 Fox body EFI listed.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25-$50 from Borders.com see Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search. Try searching using M-1832-Z1 instead of the ISBN number if you don’t get any positive results. You may only be able to find a used one, since the book is as old as the cars it covers. Or you order it from your Ford dealer as SVO part no. M-1832-Z1.

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.