Serious street/strip enginebuilder CA?

• Sponsors (?)

I build my own engines, but I use Dugans Racing Engines in Riverside, CA for machine work and setting up the heads. Dugans has a long history in racing engines in drag boats and, more recently, SCORE trucks. They charge $400 to build a short block (over and above parts and machining costs) and, I think, $700 for a long block. A 600hp SBF may be so trick that it will cost a bit extra. These costs are strictly assembly costs (I don't want to give you the wrong idea) and assumes all the parts are ready to bolt together. If you want them, for example, to blueprint the heads, that's another $300, etc.

Not a fan of Jim Grubbs. He built an engine for me (or one of his younger guys) and it was awful. I have a long involved story about failure to fully honor a warranty - so I can not recommend him.

There is a guy in Simi Valley that I WILL recommend - Rocco at Big Terry's Engine Shop, who is just an awesome guy, a straight shooter who loves building horsepower. My 400hp+ 331 stroker was just built there for a very reasonable price.

Big Terry's Engine Shop
Address: 2243 Agate Ct # A, Simi Valley, CA 93065
Phone: (805) 583-0602

Not a fan of Jim Grubbs. He built an engine for me (or one of his younger guys) and it was awful. I have a long involved story about failure to fully honor a warranty - so I can not recommend him.

There is a guy in Simi Valley that I WILL recommend - Rocco at Big Terry's Engine Shop, who is just an awesome guy, a straight shooter who loves building horsepower. My 400hp+ 331 stroker was just built there for a very reasonable price.

Big Terry's Engine Shop
Address: 2243 Agate Ct # A, Simi Valley, CA 93065
Phone: (805) 583-0602

Wow, thats the first time I've ever heard anything negative about Grubbs. I have had nothing but good experiences with him. That guy in Simi is actually quite close to my house. I'll check him out.

I have also had a good experience with Troy at www.f-p-s.com ford performance solutions in Anaheim CA, They assembled my 408 shortblock and did the cnc porting on my heads and I was very impressed with the quality of work and the price.
he built my 349 and cnc ported heads............... a few times,hopefully this time its right:D

luckily he stands behind his work:)

I had Troy port my heads and grind me a roller cam to match the flow but he just flat out refuses to give me an invoice for the work. I have asked not less than 5 times and he says that he mailed it, blah, blah, blah, but it never ever gets to me.
I dont think Troy even knows wheres he's at half the time.Everytime i go there it takes 2 hours to get out from all the yapping:rolleyes:

I had Troy port my heads and grind me a roller cam to match the flow but he just flat out refuses to give me an invoice for the work. I have asked not less than 5 times and he says that he mailed it, blah, blah, blah, but it never ever gets to me.

That sounds like Troy. He did my first ford motor and it was not a great experience, the motor didn't last long, and it was in his shop for 9 months or so. He is a great guy but over tasked and that is bad if your in a hurry. Good prices, but you must be on top of him or you will be stuck in a long queue.

That was about 3-4 years ago so don't know how things are now, and Troy is a great guy, just don't expect it fast unless it is a stock on the shelf thing.

I just dropped off a motor at a place in Chatsworth called QMP Racing. The guy had done a (gulp) Big Block Chevy about 10 years ago when he worked for a place called Bob Lambeck racing, he started his own shop and it looked nice, so taking a chance to see how it works out, has a Dyno and that was a minimum requirement. Had a bunch of ford stuff and one on the dyno when I dropped in. So will report when I get it on the dyno.

Sorry for the long post, I'm on the Coffee ;-)

Sandy