Seriously need help and advise

UTGAMER

Feb 26, 2010
Dalton, GA
As yall know Ive been having some problems with car not idling and smoke, pcv oil coming out intake manifold vacuum fitting.

bare with me

I have replaced PCV valve, made a new fitting, and today replaced IAC valve. Still wont idle without giving it gas. SHOULD I TRY EGR?

I know my engine is probably bout to die. I have smoke coming out of dipstick tube if I pull pcv off it shoots out there too, may also be comin out of filler neck, but it may just be burnt oil, or both. Would a bad EGR cause all this? I have been racking my brain past few days and torn between the EGR replacment.. I had fuel filter replaced a few months ago. Could it be clogged already. I dunno if its not idling b/c of this, or fuel pump, but I can hear the fuel pump, so I think its fine? Also heard that if fuel pump was bad engine would stall when I press gas, mine dont it idles. Rough, but it idles. Also got another backfire today after I put IAC valve in. Was holding gas to keep it running and a lil popping came from somewhere

Also seems like since I had clutch put in I took to shop and had them resurface the flywheel. and every since then it SEEMS that my car has run hot. It dont say its hot on the gauge, but I can feel heat in the middle of my car like the plastic in middle at floorboard. Didnt use to get this hot, my ashtray gets very hot, and if your outside the car even after a few mins it feels like its been driven for hours. Could my oil coolers be bad and cause this?I just read something about them and it gave me the idea. I know nothing about it. How do you check for it? Im learning so much on my own and here and other forums and haynes, but I still have so far to go. Im gonna do a compression test but wanted to get it to idle first. If it wont idle whats the point in compression test is the way I see it.

I need specific feedback please and thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

As yall know Ive been having some problems with car not idling and smoke, pcv oil coming out intake manifold vacuum fitting.

bare with me

I have replaced PCV valve, made a new fitting, and today replaced IAC valve. Still wont idle without giving it gas. SHOULD I TRY EGR?

I know my engine is probably bout to die. I have smoke coming out of dipstick tube if I pull pcv off it shoots out there too, may also be comin out of filler neck, but it may just be burnt oil, or both. Would a bad EGR cause all this? I have been racking my brain past few days and torn between the EGR replacment.. I had fuel filter replaced a few months ago. Could it be clogged already. I dunno if its not idling b/c of this, or fuel pump, but I can hear the fuel pump, so I think its fine? Also heard that if fuel pump was bad engine would stall when I press gas, mine dont it idles. Rough, but it idles. Also got another backfire today after I put IAC valve in. Was holding gas to keep it running and a lil popping came from somewhere

Also seems like since I had clutch put in I took to shop and had them resurface the flywheel. and every since then it SEEMS that my car has run hot. It dont say its hot on the gauge, but I can feel heat in the middle of my car like the plastic in middle at floorboard. Didnt use to get this hot, my ashtray gets very hot, and if your outside the car even after a few mins it feels like its been driven for hours. Could my oil coolers be bad and cause this?I just read something about them and it gave me the idea. I know nothing about it. How do you check for it? Im learning so much on my own and here and other forums and haynes, but I still have so far to go. Im gonna do a compression test but wanted to get it to idle first. If it wont idle whats the point in compression test is the way I see it.

I need specific feedback please and thanks again

Look at it this way. If the compression test shows excessive cylinder wear (little or no compression on one or more cylinders) then idling is not particularly important. It's not clear why you wanted to do a compression test. Is there a lot of blue smoke from the exhaust while running? You have multiple posts and it's hard to figure out what you need help on. The shotgun approach will not be very helpful.

Compression b/c at first I thought I had a blown head gasket. Then I learned about blow by which is why the oil came from my intake manifold vac fitting and pushed my PCV hose off and engine smoking. Which is said to be due to bad rings etc. The compression test will tell me. And no smoke coming from exhaust just the engine. I dunno if its rings, or engine too hot or blow by, or what. Thats why I posted this to try and clear everything up and to update

If you want, do the compression test. If the wet and dry tests are ok, ensure the baffle is under the PCV valve (we're not talking about the mesh breather screen, but the actual baffle).

Did you actually replace the PCV valve, grommet and breather?

I would not bother with the EGR for now. It introduces exhaust gas into the chambers for emissions.

What codes did it throw before and what codes is it throwing now?

Good luck.

I replaced the valve and hose on the valve. What and where exactly is the baffle? All I know is there is a hose running out from under the intake that goes to a plastic T piece. The left goes to the lil metal round piece/valve that plugs into the grommet thats in a hole the same size. The right if the T goes to the intake fitting. My valve has to screen. Its just a metal piece with a ball in it. Thats what Advanced gave me when I asked for a PCV valve

The baffle is inside the lower intake.

As an aside, at some point you'll want to create a sig to put at the bottom of your posts so we can see what components you have in your car. It makes diagnostics easier.

The baffle is just some sheet metal attached to the bottom of the lower intake and usually keeps the mesh pcv screen from falling down into the lifter valley. You can see a pic of one below. What intake do you have on the car?

intake3.JPG

What mods have been done to the car? I saw in one of your other threads that you were doing a compression check already. What were the results?

No mods. Just MSD ignition ignition and dist. And aftermarket CAI. Pics of engine in my profile/garage.. WOW just looked at pics and the engine was dirty as hell. Nice and clean now.

I got a TPS I want to replace but I cant get the 2 screws out they are stipped. Gonna try with some screw extractors. Anyone had luck with these?

Still aint done compression test. Ill post results when I do