Serpentine Belt Issues

Erich Goldstein

Mar 8, 2014
Hey everyone. For the past month my serpentine belt as been giving me issues. It'll be fine for about a week or two but after that when I check under the hood, it's been cracking down the middle or wearing. The belt normally splits down the middle and i'm running on half a belt until it snaps. I have a Kenne Bell 1.7L and I've checked the aftermarket idler pulleys (and the rest of them) and I can't find anything wrong with any of the pulleys. Does anyone have any ideas because I'm running low on ideas...and patience.

• Sponsors (?)

What year is your car? Has this happened on more than 1 belt? Could there be a pulley alignment issue between the supercharger, the idlers it came with and the stock pulleys? Maybe something needs some shimming.

It's a 2001 and this has recently started happening after the cold spell we had in NY. I've thrown on 3 new belts within a month and a half. The alignment looks fine, i've checked it from top to bottom. I've shimmed the aftermarket idlers that came with it the best I could after the rubber melted and fused with them. The wear seems to always start on the flat side of the belt.

If its getting hot enough to melt, makes me think maybe an idler or one of your accessory drives is locking up. Maybe give a listen to each pulley and make sure there isn't any bearing squeal or seizing pulleys. :shrug: