Serpentine belt shredded. Can I get it to the shop?

SilverHorse

Sep 2, 2003
Palm Harbor, FL
My belt totally shredded this morning. The car started sounding like I was driving fast on gravel and I couldn't figure out what it was. The noise only happened when the clutch was engaged. Then an the second to last turn in to work the power sterring was gone and my low battery light came on. I then pretty much knew what was happening.

Because of my work schedule I don't have anytime to deal with this. My mechanic is not even a quarter mile down the road. I would like to drive the car there. Does anyone see an issue with this? I doubt it would overheat but I don't want to trash the motor os something like that to save a few buck on towing.

• Sponsors (?)

can't someone give you a lift to a parts store to get a new belt? (not sure if you work alone). They are simple enough to replace.

Can you push it there?

You'd be without your water pump and alternator (for the fan), so heat is going to be a big enemy.

If it were me, I'd find a friend with a trailer instead of towing it or driving it, just so no chances of breaking something come about.

I'm not trying to sound like an a$$, but don't you get a lunch break? If you do, try and get one then. You can also put a call into the shop where you plan on taking it and see if they can send someone over to you since you're so close. Try bribing them with half the $$$ it would cost to have it towed.

There is someone here with a truck who could probably pull it with a strap if I had one. Problem is that he is an idiot. Knowing him he would gun his truck, stop short, the list goes on. Don't want him anywhere near my car.

I do get a luch break but the problem is that my Boss is in California and I'm in Florida. He will be going to a client's site at 9 AM PST. Noon my time so I have to be here to entertain his problems. Any other day this would not be a problem.

I'm fairly certain they wont come here to do it. I may ask though. The worst they can say is no.

Try calling some local parts stores too. Tell them what your situation is and ask if they can deliver one to you.

As for the change, you'll need some type of lever to take tension off the belt by means of the tension pully. A good breaker bar usually works, but a 1/4" drive ratchet with a long handle (or bar slid over the handle) will work. There is usually a square hole in the pully tension arm for this.

all you have to do is look at the way it goes on... theres a sticker on either the front of the hood when u open it or right as u look down... make sure u have it looped around rightand then there is going to be the one tensioner that if u push on it will move in and slip it on let go and your done. It should take all of 5-10 mins jus cuz your working in the dark... if u turn on ur head lights it might help a bit get some glare or something.

Alot of the major parts stores will deliver without much problem. Get a flashlight and some tools + a friend and knock it out in the parking lot. I can't count the alternators and other things I've had to replace late night

justin01gt said:
all you have to do is look at the way it goes on... theres a sticker on either the front of the hood when u open it or right as u look down... make sure u have it looped around rightand then there is going to be the one tensioner that if u push on it will move in and slip it on let go and your done. It should take all of 5-10 mins jus cuz your working in the dark... if u turn on ur head lights it might help a bit get some glare or something.

Ditto

This is the tensioner you'll be looking for to push. This is on the 2003, but your's should be the same if not similar.
89291.jpg

if you are short on tools being at work (i had the same thing happen except i threw the belt instead of shredding it) you can go into your trunk and use the tire iron as your lever to push the tension pulley back. I've done this in the rain and in the dark.... it does take a bit of manuvering to get it back on, though i had no help. takes me around 10-15 min to figure out how the belt routing goes (no i dont have the pic in the engine bay) then another 5-10 to get it on and stay on.

Torinalth