Set me straight on guages. Which ones are better???

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I want to get some Autometer Gauges. Im getting the dual gauge cage that goes in the AC vents. Im looking at Water Temp,Oil Temp, Trans Temp, or Air/Fuel Ratio. which 2 of those are the best to get. Also, whats the difference bewtween mechanical and electrical gauges??? Which are better, and which ones are easier to install. Also does any body have pics of their dual or even triple guage cages??

• Sponsors (?)

Definately get Water Temp, Oil Pressure is nice too. The A/F ratio gauge, well I've heard some people say it's very inaccurate, but it gives you somewhat of an idea.

Electrical are easier to install, which one should you get? It's mostly preferance, what do YOU want?

I have Phantom mechanical gauges, because I like the full sweep rather than only the half sweep that the electrical gauges have.

I have Water Temp, Oil Pressure, and Voltage.

Water temp. and oil pressure would be my picks. The temp guage in my '65 actually saved that engines life.
Anyway, get the electrical ones. Mechanical guages require you to run hard lines with fluid in them into your car; you can guess what happens when one of the fittings/tubes starts leaking. Electrical guages are just as accurate, easier to install, and won't leak coolant/oil into your car.

I say go electrical when you can and save some grief! Don't really think the AF gauge will do much for a non turboed car and yes it is not really acurate unless you get a wide band one which is expensive! Get the water temp cuase stock one is very inaccurate and really your choice for other one! My pic would be oil pressure!

yep, and there are elec gauges with 270* sweep, like mechanical.
you can run a mech temp gauge, as it uses a capillary tube (not filled with liquid) if you like. requires a larger hole to get through the firewall.
your choice.
i also say oil pressure and water temp, and i agree in full with 87 Gt conv.

Yup, oil pressure and water temp. It should be manditory to owning a stang that you put them in. Mine are mechanical, but I'm old school- it doesn't make much difference in accuracy/reliability anymore if you get a quality gauge like AutoMeter. Nobody put up pics yet? WTF? I don't have a gauge cage, but knowing that your factory tach is almost definately off by 200rpm or more, you may want to look into this too:

432856_12_full.jpg

Well, the car comes with Oil pressure, Volts, Water Temp, RPM, Speed, and Fuel. The stock gauges are not very accurate or clear to what they are actually reading but they give you some idea. Some gauges you don't have, Oil Temp, trans temp (for auto's, might save your tranny) Fuel Pressure, Vaccume, Boost/nitros (if so equiped)

The A:F gauge is good but really only effective when you have a wideband o2 which you will need to weld another bung into the midpipe because they don't work with the computer. I have that one and water temp because the stocker went out on me and always gave funny readings, plus the temp gauge went up with the lights on.