setting timing

srtthis

the guy doing it does every local racers rear end
15 Year Member
Jul 3, 2009
Maryland
i know the standard way... set the motor to TDC balancer on zero install distrubter with rotor on number 1. start the motor and turn till lights on the number you want and clamp it down.

i know the way we do the race car also... set the balancer to the timing we want on the balancer. then put leading edge of the rotor on the number 1 cyl. on the cap and clamp it down.

anyone tried phasing the rotor on a stock computer? i would think it would keep longer contact between the rotor and the cap. i plan to lock the timing so it will be 32-34* full time. so i wont need to worry about it advancing itself past the contact with the rotor.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think you could make the stock tfi distributor adjustable for rotor phasing not to mention I just don't see the benefit. I have an msd pro billet that i'll be modifying in the next few days. I can post pics of the process if you would like.

I set my timing similar to the second method you described. I spin the motor over to the lowest amount of timing ill run under boost and adjust the dist. to align the rotor tip with number one and lock the dist. down. Then I'll spin the motor over to 50* and adjust the phasing of the pickup in the dist. to match. From there it's done and I just verify the timing with a light. If it is off a degree of two I can adjust spark offset in the computer.