SFI bell housing or flywheel needed?

Rockin GT

May 9, 2006
Can anyone tell me at what hp/rpm an SFI bell housing or flywheel is needed/recommended? I'm building a NA 331 and am not planning to do much, if any, official drag racing.

If the risk of blowing a clutch or flywheel is essentially zero for my application, I'd like to save the $ and resurface and reweight (50 to 28 oz) my current flywheel.

• Sponsors (?)

Just my $.02. I had a '70 Z-28 as a kid in the '70's. I blew a clutch one night and parts of the disc came thru the floor luckily on the passenger side. It disentegrated the stock bellhousing. I have never used a stock bell on a performance application since. BTW, I was on my way home from dropping my GF off at home. She would have been missing parts if she was sitting there.

7-UP BILL said:
Just my $.02. I had a '70 Z-28 as a kid in the '70's. I blew a clutch one night and parts of the disc came thru the floor luckily on the passenger side. It disentegrated the stock bellhousing. I have never used a stock bell on a performance application since. BTW, I was on my way home from dropping my GF off at home. She would have been missing parts if she was sitting there.

Moral of the story, if you wanna get laid get an SFI bellhousing :nice: :rlaugh:

I run a mcleod SFI bellhousing. They are more of a PITA but worth it for rare cases like Bill mentioned. I like my fidanza SFI aluminum flywheel.

I was looking at the McLeod bell housing ($294.45 from oemfordparts.com). I understand from prior posts that I need a long clutch fork too - does anyone have a P/N or good source for the fork?

Also, does anyone know if there are interference issues between the McLeod bell and Mac long tubes?

Great - thanks for all the input! From Anderson's site, it looks like the McLeod BH and Pro Motion fork will cost a total of $378. I also saw a PRW SFI steel flywheel for $130.05. This is far less than other SFI flywheels I've seen. I know it's not as good as an aluminum flywheel, but it's also much less expensive. Has anyone had any problems with the PRW flywheels?