Shaker 500 question

diamonded

Oct 26, 2004
I have a GT with the base stereo. I am thinking about buying a shaker500 head unit and need to know if the speakers mount in the same place in the front door panels as the with the base stereo. I know I would need to replace the speakers to handle the extra power and just need to know if everything will bolt in without having to cut on the door panels.
Yeah I know there are better units available than the shaker, I just want to keep it all factory.

• Sponsors (?)

I would stronlgy suggest you NOT buy the Shaker 500 unless you can get it almost for free. The deck is simply a piece of crap in my and many other's opinions.

1. It has nowhere near 500 watts
2. Sound qulaity is very poor by comparison (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine)
3. Many Joker 500 threads with horror stories about the deck basically Windows 98 style locking up and requiring the car be turned off in order to get the deck to again respond, speakers going in and out, and finicky acceptance of burned CDs (all of which has happened with my 500 albeit only once)
4. Price versus high quality name brand competition that is better even at a higher price
5. No expandability (i.e Ipod, Satellite Radio)

I am sure other guys will chime in with their complaints and some will say they like it. I have always replaced my factory decks except in my Bonn which actually had a really HQ Delphi (for real). Buy something else and I assure you that you will not regret it.:nice:

You might be able to find a 500 for next to nothing with all of the people who are replacing them for aftermarket ones, but that might not be such a good thing lol. I got it in mine, but that's just b/c it came with the premium package, I will see how it works for a bit since I have audio imput and sirius for 07, but I am saving for another one if I have problems. I plan on running the Ipod and sirius 95% of the time, so if they work I will keep it for a few years.

Iknow you didn't want to hear it, but go aftermarket. You will be dollars and quality miles ahead. The look isn't that bad either. Unless you have a rare, high-dollar car, I wouldn't worry about keeping the "factory" look.
The 1965 Mustang was available with a front bench seat. It is an extremely rare option today if you find a car with one. Do you know why? Because it sucked and no one wanted it. They still don't. Factory is not always better.