Shaker Stereo system

1 JOE GT

Dec 10, 2006
Sandusky, Ohio
Hey everyone
I'm sportin an 06 GT Convertible with the 500 watt shaker. Best car stereo ever in my opinion. My question is, is the 1000 watt shaker better or about the same as the 500. I was thinking about upgrading when I bought the car, but I want to know from those who have the 1000, is it really worth it??????
Thanks
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Audio can be very subjective. Why not find a car with the Shaker 1000 and compare? The menu lets you switch the additional subwoofers on or off. You could compare the same music with and without the additional subs and decide for yourself.

Having the Shaker 1000 enables us to drop down to the Shaker 500 by turning off the rear amps/subs in the menu options. It does make a huge difference in bass levels and slightly in volume as well. There are numerous aftermarket options that will far surpass what the 1000 is capable of at a fraction of the option price! The only reason I got it was due to the fact that it was in the car and it was well below sticker! A buddy of mine works for Crutchfield so stereos have never been a disapointment for me:nice: I've yet to switch from the Shaker 1000 after 1.5 years, but when something fails...aftermarket it is with no hesitaion other than he funds:D To sum it up, if you are thinking of replacing anything with aftermarket, then don't waste money on the 1000.

I took out the Shaker 500 head unit and replaced it with an aftermarket unit. There is a night and day difference between the 2. I have a better bass response, higher highs and clearer mids. The head unit is only a $200 unit from Crutchfield and they give you all the goodies you need to hook it up. Mine is a single DINN unit and now I have a shelf to store more crap.

Having the Shaker 1000 enables us to drop down to the Shaker 500 by turning off the rear amps/subs in the menu options. It does make a huge difference in bass levels and slightly in volume as well. There are numerous aftermarket options that will far surpass what the 1000 is capable of at a fraction of the option price! The only reason I got it was due to the fact that it was in the car and it was well below sticker! A buddy of mine works for Crutchfield so stereos have never been a disapointment for me:nice: I've yet to switch from the Shaker 1000 after 1.5 years, but when something fails...aftermarket it is with no hesitaion other than he funds:D To sum it up, if you are thinking of replacing anything with aftermarket, then don't waste money on the 1000.

+1 :nice:

The only thing the Shaker 1000 adds is bass.. $1300 worth of bass.

Unless you are looking for something that is factory installed, go aftermarket.. Even better, install everything yourself..

i have been REALLY dissapointed with my Shaker 1000 system...................but i have been in the audio biz for about 10 years. I could put together a syste, for the same amount of money and sound 10 times better. The biggest improvement was when i bypassed the amps and added my own.

i have been REALLY dissapointed with my Shaker 1000 system...................but i have been in the audio biz for about 10 years. I could put together a syste, for the same amount of money and sound 10 times better.

Having a buddy work at Crutchfield, I agree with this 1000%! The factory stuff sounds good to a lot of people, but those who know what to listen for, it's never good enough. I have a decent setup in my Jetta that cost me less than $600 .
Alpine head unit, Alpine amp(subs), Kenwood amp(all others), Kenwood speakers inside the car and 2 10" Kickers.

DSC01194.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01194.jpg
    DSC01194.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 371
wow, thanks for all the replies guys. You're saying that i can go to crutchfield and order the 1000 watt head unit? That would be cool. Bass would be a lot more with the 4 more subs in the trunk. But volume wise, is it louder? I have the 500 in my car and absolutely love it.
Joe

I dont think anyone makes a 1000w head unit.

I also don't purchase from crutchfield - they are MAJOR $$$$!!! You are better off going to a local shop and haggling them for a good price.

I have been using Pioneer head units for about 9 years now... I stand by them 100%. I have the AVIC-Z1 in my stang. I consider it by far the best head unit on the market... They now have the Avic-z2 which is a little different - but pretty much the same overall

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-Z1

I used to be BIG into putting in aftermarket systems. Before I got rid of my Fusion - I had:

Avic-z1
Rockford Fosgate 500.4 Amp for high's
Rockford Fosgate 800.2 amp for subs
3 Rockford Fosgate 12'' sub's
Front Speakers: Infinity Kappa Component
Rear: Infinity Kappa
1F capacitor

I am a little hesitant though to rip my car apart to install this additional hardware.

Off topic - does anyone know if someone makes a rear seat delete kit taht you can mount two subs with?

No, it is not worth it in my opinion and here are my reasons.

Neither of the Shaker head units really have any good options. They are limited OEM decks just like most other OEM decks. The only difference between the two is the 1000 has a trunk amp a subwoofer in the trunk which the 500 does not have. The decks are technically identical except for the menu options to control the trunk subwoofer. Rockford is not really my choice for aftermarket audio anymore, but they do make a powered subwoofer that fits in the trunk exactly like a Shaker 1000 does and plugs into the factory head unit.

Now, I have had nothing but issues with my Shaker head unit. Between not reading a lot of my CD's, which are non-scratched, and just constantly skipping all the time. I have had it replaced once under warranty and the second one ended up doing the same thing. Now I have an aftermarket head unit, with iPod and any other Mp3 player controls, plus sat radio, cell phone control, and a ton of other options. Plus, I have some aftermarket subs and amp in the trunk that do not take up much room and they far exceed anything from the factory.

Just my 2 cents, and good luck with your choice!!!

I have the shaker 1000. I could not be more happy. Just as KoolDawg said, I wouldn't replace anything until something breaks. The only thing I have complaints about is the looks of the head unit. Its to bland in my opinion. Other than that, I couldn't be more happy. Although I'm not that much into audio so this is prolly the best stereo I have ever had in a vehicle. The reason I got the shaker 1000 is my car was on the lot with the exact options I wanted. The shaker 1000 was just the cherry on top of the sunday. Plus, I got my car for well under sticker as well.

For anybody looking to add more bass ,we (PAC) just released a add a amp interface.Its plug and play and gives you front/rear preouts from the factory headunit.Im going to install mine this weekend and either amplify the stock 10" subs or replace them with my 12" Orion P2