"shakey" starts

This is tough to explain without being in the car, but maybe some of you have experienced this as well. This is a 5spd 5.0 with Steeda FWA and cable. Before you start pointing fingers at my driving skills, I've been driving standard for years and years, so I know what I'm doing. Anyways, when I take off from a dead stop in first gear (for normal driving) it's very tough to not make the car shake as I'm letting out the clutch. For that little time that you ride the clutch to get the car moving it causes the entire car to shake. It's tough to explain, but it's like it's chugging along, but as soon as I let the clutch all the way out, it's fine and every other shift is fine. It only happens when I ride the clutch, so for instance, it gets worse if I rev it up a bit (2,000 rpm) and slowly let out the clutch. But if I rev it up for a good hard launch the clutch grabs strong and doesn't shake. I've been living with this problem for quite a while so I'd like to get this figured out. I don't think the clutch is worn because it grabs hard, but could the flywheel or clutch be warped perhaps??? what's your guys' take on this???

• Sponsors (?)

It can also be an issue with the Marcel spring.

Glazing is possible but you didnt noted slipping or smells.

Good luck.

Definitely sounds like clutch chatter. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can repeat the break-in process of babying it for 500 miles and it'll go away, but that doesn't always work, especially if the clutch has a fair amount of miles on it by now.

Since you aren't the guy who put the last clutch in, the disk may be installed backwards. With disk in backwards, the springs rub on the bolts that hold the flywheel on. That make a chatter when you let out the clutch.

Other possiblites are a damaged clutch hub (broken springs) or a broken engine or transmission mount.

I have a "Ram Powergrip" clutch in my '66, and I have the same problem sometimes. When I first start driving the car the clutch engagement is fine, but after things get nice and hot it's impossible to slip the clutch without bad chatter. When I bought the clutch, there was some warning about how they like to chatter a lot. It annoys the hell out of me, but I've learned how to drive to minimize it.

If your clutch has been replaced, it's possible someone put in a performance clutch that likes to chatter. However if you have a stock clutch, there is likely something wrong.

I would start by checking the tranny mount like jrichker suggested. If it looks fine, the best thing to do would be to remove the transmission and inspect the clutch. Of course if you are going to that much effort, you may as well put in a new performance clutch. I've had good luck with the King Cobra clutch, I think a lot of other people have too.

Jeff

I had the exact same issue with chatter as you did; front end shutters when taking off from a regular stop. I went for a year with this problem and thought it could be the rack and pinion (steering) going bad because I had a Centerforce dual friction and it shouldn't be the problem.

Last week I was on a job 3.5 hours away from home. I was at a light and get ready to depress the clutch and all of a sudden the pedal was way easier than its been; like a hydraulic clutch. The tranny went into gear with no problem, but then the car shook violently, finally started moving. When I would drive and I go to accelerate, the clutch would slip terribly. I limped it home and tore the clutch out. Found that of the 20 or so "pads" that make up one side of the friction disc were down to only 3 left! So, I figured all this time the clutch was going out and causing the car to chatter pretty bad.

I Installed a new Billet Steel flywheel, King Cobra clutch (TOB included in kit) new non-adj cable, new clutch fork, new pilot bearing, and new rear main seal. Installed all this to exact specs and the car has not one chatter or shake like before!

The car feels like a brand new car and the clutch is precise and not too hard. I actually stalled a few times, since I had to "re-learn" how to drive a proper clutch in my car!