Sheared Distributor Gear New Motor

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
My 408 is currently at the chassis dyno. My tuner was driving the car easy on the dyno and he said that the car stalled, and there was no spark. Come to find out the distributor gear has sheared off. It is a steel gear, new distributor from auto parts store. The car is a 408 with a
HYD Roller Billet Camshaft. Am I wrong to be using this gear with this roller? I thought roller camshafts take steel gears. What could make this happen? The motor has 200 miles on it. This car has never been revved past 3000 rpm. What should I do now? Drop the pan and go through the motor? Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

did it take all the teeth off of it or did the gear fall off? IIRC the gear is held on with a roll pin. was the pin in place?

Question I'd be asking is, Where are the sheared pieces? That's what I'd be worrying about. Getting a new gear or even a distributor will be a cheap solution. Ask your guy if there is any damage to the motor.

Billet cam...you may need a bronze gear! Consult cam manufacture. I would also use a screw driver or a 1/4 socket and turn the oil pump by hand to see if it turns free no binding.

Is it a high volume pump? Some guys suggest drilling a .050 pisser hole in the galley plug to get constant oil to the gear to make it last in HV oil pump applications.

Scott

It was not a high volume pump. It looks like the distributor I got had a cast iron gear. The teeth are chewed off. My tuner tells me that it looks like it's been doing it for awhile. The car has 200 miles on it. I did just recently change the oil, right before it went to the dyno. I am scared some metal made its way around the motor.

Update guys. The tuner took the pan off. He said there was alot of metal in the pan, but because it was so deep it looks like it caught most of it. The filter also caught it. The car died at 2000 rpm which I think saved me too. He replaced the oil pump too. Engine builder recomends 2 oil changes in the next 50 miles and I should be good to go. The piston skirts and etc look good. No visible damage. And the car now has a msd distributor with a composite gear.