shelby drop w/ TCP UCA, flipping the mount '66

mtaqua

Oct 7, 2006
I am shaving my shock towers, and want to drop the bolt holes as low as possible. What I was going to do was use the standard TCP arms for '66 and their template. That would drop the bolt holes down 1". Rather than do that I am thinking about getting the TCP UCAs that already have the drop incorporated and flip the mounting bar so it bolts to the shock tower from the bottom rather than the top. This should drop the holes 2" instead of 1", giving even more header clearance. I was planning on putting the holes 2" below, and not offset back from the stock ones (as the TCP drop UCA already has the 1/8 offset built in). Anyone see a problem with this? I was thinking about welding the mount to the tower too once bolted in.

• Sponsors (?)

yes i see a big problem. shelby limited the drop to one inch on street cars, and 1 1/4" on the race cars because they had issues with breaking ball joints. if you go too low, even with the upgraded arms, you to will have issue with breaking ball joints.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The TCP drop arms have a 1" drop built into them. They did this so you would not have to drill holes to get the 1" drop. Rather than put them in the stock holes I was going to flip the mounting bar upside down and drill holes 2" below the stock holes. This would put the holes on the bottom rather than top of the UCA. The UCA would still only be 1" lower than the stock location.

I don't see an issue with it as long as you make sure the control arm is moved back the correct distance. It depends on how you end up flipping the bracket. When you shave the tower, make sure you leave enough space for the spring to move through the entire travel of the suspension without hitting your patch panel. I think coil overs have a smaller diameter, so that might help.

Mine are on the way, I have a neighbor with a set. I borrowed them last night. I made holes 2" below the stock ones and checked the position of the arm. It ends up in the same spot. I'll post pics up once complete.