Shelby Stripes?

Great Looking 'Stang

I hadn't considered a black model, but your car sure changes that idea.

Are your stripes painted? What is the width of the stripes and the gap in between?

I'll need to order one. The GTs are flying off the lots in CLT NC.

jamie

• Sponsors (?)

Stripes

The dealer stripes don't go to the bottom of the bumpers from what I found anyway. The dealer that had this done for me is an old friend. He leaned on his striping company and I talked to the guy, it was a two day job. He really hated doing it and won't do another. I suggested that he sell the kits, but so far no response. they are a bitch to do and I am considering painting mine.
Randy

Tradition

MrMojo1953 said:
Not bad... Red stripes. I like it... but maybe with the Black interior with the Red trim? Tuff decisions ahead.
:shrug: :bang:

I'm getting a torch red 05 mustang gt with a solid black line down it and the red and black leather interior. That's what my dad had on his 1982 Mustang GT and what my grandpa had on his 1970 Mustang.

I wouldn't mind rocker stripes in gold on the 05 GT I ordered-I ordered the Redfire cause it reminds me of the Mach 1 my dad owned in 69-that car was Indian Fire Red with Gold stripes, and was a beautiful car.

I managed to find that same car last month-working on a deal to buy it so come this summer the wife and I can drive out in both the 69 Mach 1 and the 05 GT and give my dad the keys to his old Mustang.:nice:

Im looking to order an 05 after the new year, im planning on doing satin silver with upgraded interior and red leather. my question is what color stripes to go with? i had thought about doing a darker silver/grey, white or red. what should i go with? and id like to do the rocker stripes with it.

how much $$$ for painted stripes?

i've been to 3 paint shops in new jersey allready to get some prices on painting some 12" (4" space between) guardsman blue stripes on my white 05GT. i am gettin quotes of 1800-2100$ and thats without telling them they are gonna have to paint my steeda chin spoiler white and stipe that too. what are u guys paying in other states for stripes cause the prices im gettin seem a little high.

Stangnut said:
Here's a link to the exact stripe dimensions on 65-68 Shelby's
http://www.ebay.nvsaac.com/Details/Lemans_stripes.htm
I'll be using similar dimensions when mine comes in.
Notice the taper. I think that would help out a lot in the rear.
Jason

Hey, in that link, the "brief history of stripes" article....i'm not sure who wrote that but it's completely wrong. It had nothing to do with line of sight. The stripe originated back in the days of international racing, when teams from different countries would race. The stripe was run down the top of the car along the driver's side of the car to "point out" the driver in the event of a wreck or fire where the driver had to be rescued, since the driver's side is on opposite sides in various countries.

Think about it....what purpose would a stripe down the hood have to do with your line of sight? What driver is paying attention to a line on his hood and not the road? If this had any purpose at all it would still be in use today. Many racing teams still employ the stripe on the drivers side in Le Mans style racing where the driver could be on either side.

I have a satin silver 05 GT and just had the stripes put on.

I went with white 12" wide, spaced so the edge of the stripe lines up with the edge of the fog lamp.

So far I've gotten good reviews... with only one person telling me I should have gone with blue stripes. (from a 60's version he had seen)

Also.... I ordered my stripe kit from Bob White. The kit is not bad... but my stripe guy had a VERY hard time getting them right. AND he was unable to get them to flow down to the front and rear bumper. So naturally I'm a bit disappointed, yet thrilled by the overall look.

If you can decide on a color to stick with, and can afford it... have your stripes painted. JMO.

I hope to post photos soon.

I was quoted 1200 from the dealer to have them painted on. They said that would include the spoiler and bumper, and all the sanding\basework they had to do inbetween. I was quoted 450ish for the decals from the same dealer. Im in Atlanta, GA.

Whats the general feeling on decals vs. having them painted on? I was always afraid the decals would make it look too much "rice."

Zodiac said:
I was quoted 1200 from the dealer to have them painted on. They said that would include the spoiler and bumper, and all the sanding\basework they had to do inbetween. I was quoted 450ish for the decals from the same dealer. Im in Atlanta, GA.

Whats the general feeling on decals vs. having them painted on? I was always afraid the decals would make it look too much "rice."

I've seen some VERY high quality vinyl graphics that are made very thin so they don't raise above the paint like most do, and if laid nice enough they almost pass as paint, but the problem is that they arent very common and they're nearly as expensive as having them painted. The only true up side for decals is that they're removeable, but the part that sucks there is that you destroy what you've spent your money on, plus if they're on there for a few years, the paint around them is going to fade while the paint underneath isnt. Also, it's a PITA to wax a car with decals. They'll also fade over time and might even peal/tear off. I vote get'em painted. They may be permanant but the quality is superior and less of a hassle.

Not true. I had stripes over my hood, the sides and the back of my 98 GT and they never peeled, the wax came off like they werent there and they were on 6 years when I sold my car this week. They were very low to the paint and almost looked painted on. I am getting my 05 after the winter and already got a quote fro a decal shop in town for $400 with a lifetime warranty for stripes from the front bumper to the back bumper. Place does all the cop cars and emergency vehicles in the state! Do some checking to find the best deal. :D

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I've seen some VERY high quality vinyl graphics that are made very thin so they don't raise above the paint like most do, and if laid nice enough they almost pass as paint, but the problem is that they arent very common and they're nearly as expensive as having them painted. The only true up side for decals is that they're removeable, but the part that sucks there is that you destroy what you've spent your money on, plus if they're on there for a few years, the paint around them is going to fade while the paint underneath isnt. Also, it's a PITA to wax a car with decals. They'll also fade over time and might even peal/tear off. I vote get'em painted. They may be permanant but the quality is superior and less of a hassle.

stangscuba98a said:
Not true. I had stripes over my hood, the sides and the back of my 98 GT and they never peeled, the wax came off like they werent there and they were on 6 years when I sold my car this week. They were very low to the paint and almost looked painted on. I am getting my 05 after the winter and already got a quote fro a decal shop in town for $400 with a lifetime warranty for stripes from the front bumper to the back bumper. Place does all the cop cars and emergency vehicles in the state! Do some checking to find the best deal. :D

You ever see an original '79 Pacecar up close? Hell, have you ever seen any car with vinyl stripes of any kind that were anywhere close to 20 years old and still looked good? I'm willing to bet your car, or the car you sold, won't have very nice stripes after about 20 years of wear and tear....i dont know about you but if i bought an '05, i'd plan on having it for more than 6 years, so if i'm shelling out money for something that i want to last the life of my car, it's not gonna be something that will definately crack and fade in 20 years. It's just unavoidable in the long run.

VicRattlehead said:
Im looking to order an 05 after the new year, im planning on doing satin silver with upgraded interior and red leather. my question is what color stripes to go with? i had thought about doing a darker silver/grey, white or red. what should i go with? and id like to do the rocker stripes with it.
I'VE GOT AN '05 GT WITH THE SAME EXACT PACKAGE(INT,& EXT.COLORS) AND I'M GOING TO PUT IT TO PAINT AFTER JAN.1ST. I'M GOING WITH 13" STRIPES WITH A 4" GAP. THEY'LL BE BLACK WITH SILVER METAL FLAKE AND A SMALL MOUNT OF RED FLAKE TO TIE THE INT. AND EXT. TOGETHER. HE'S ALSO GOING TO PUT A 3" STRIPE JUST ABOVE THE ROCKER PANEL ON THE FLAT AREA...

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
You ever see an original '79 Pacecar up close? Hell, have you ever seen any car with vinyl stripes of any kind that were anywhere close to 20 years old and still looked good? I'm willing to bet your car, or the car you sold, won't have very nice stripes after about 20 years of wear and tear....i dont know about you but if i bought an '05, i'd plan on having it for more than 6 years, so if i'm shelling out money for something that i want to last the life of my car, it's not gonna be something that will definately crack and fade in 20 years. It's just unavoidable in the long run.

That is why they come with a Lifetime guarantee. :rolleyes: ...........6 years and they looked as good as the day they were put on. Never had a rock chip through the vinyl to the paint. Try using touch up paint everytime you ding your painted stripes.... :bang: