Shelby vs. SAAC!!! Wait 'till you read this...

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
SAAC Press Release

November 25, 2007 - Sharon, CT.

SAAC is very proud of its numerous accomplishments over the past 33 years and is looking forward to a bright future for the many years ahead.

The strength of the club is its 5,000 loyal members and the dedicated staff of volunteers who share a passion for the exciting cars built by Shelby American. They all understand the value of an independent car club run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, as opposed to a club managed by a company whose objective is to sell automobiles, parts, automotive services and merchandise to its members. The company- run club is always vulnerable to the inevitable changes in corporate personnel, budgets and marketing strategies. On the other hand, the independent enthusiast club is financed by its members’ dues and is only accountable to them. It always has their best interests in mind.

One of SAAC’s most important missions is to protect the integrity of the marque against the dishonest, the revisionists and the counterfeiters. Over the decades, as a result of tens of thousands of volunteer man- hours, SAAC has amassed a comprehensive data base of information on each Shelby vehicle. SAAC has assisted countless owners verifying the authenticity and history of their cars. The club has protected many Shelby enthusiasts non-members from being victimized by dishonorable and deceitful individuals and will continue to do so. The data is the basis of the club’s registry which is published every ten years and contains information gathered since the previous edition was printed. This ongoing effort is greatly responsible for the high values of the cars because current and future owners have confidence in the integrity of the history and authenticity of the cars.

Regrettably, Carroll Shelby has announced that he will not be renewing SAAC’s licensing agreement to use his name in conjunction with the operation of the club. SAAC has never been given a reason for this termination. Among other things, Shelby has demanded the handing over of all documents regarding the registry of all Shelby vehicles by SAAC since January 1, 1996. Please see the attached letter from Mr. Shelby's lawyers, M. Neil Cummings & Associates.

Initial indications from SAAC’s legal counsel are that Shelby’s many demands are without legal merit. As a result, SAAC has no choice other than to vigorously defend the clubs’ and its members’ proprietary information, property and rights.

In order to properly respond to Mr. Shelby's demands, SAAC has established a legal defense fund. Make no mistake: the body of information on these cars that SAAC members have contributed and its registrars have compiled is all that separates the originals from the fakes. Without tight control of this information, it would be impossible for anyone to ascertain which cars were legitimate and which were not. Rather than causing all cars to continue to increase in desirability and value, they would all plummet. We have not worked for 33 years to suddenly allow this to happen. Likewise, for all SAAC members, this is not a tennis match where you can afford to sit on the sidelines and dispassionately watch the match. The club needs each member to assist in its defense by donating to the defense fund.

We know we are on the right side of this. Unfortunately, it takes more than just knowing you are right. You have to have solid counsel appear with you in court. And in our legal system that has a price. If you believe in what the club is doing SAAC needs your support by way of a donation to the legal defense fund. There is no minimum amount. Donations can be made by check (payable to "SAAC Legal Defense Fund") or by Visa or MasterCard (click here to contribute online).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

SAAC will continue to serve its members through its national award winning publications, regions, member services, on-line forum and national convention. The club is greatly appreciative of the steadfast support and dedication of its members, volunteers and sponsors.

Ken Eber, Rick Kopec, Howard Pardee

SAAC National Directors

• Sponsors (?)

Donate because shelby wants papers, because he quit a licensing agreement with SAAC??

If they are not his papers why do SAAC need money to fight for a lawsuit?

because lawyers cost money, and since the club is having to goto court to defend its position, they need a good lawyer. preferably a team of them because you know that shelby is going to be loaded for bear. i think shelby's lawyers are going to argue that any and all papers created and published by saac were done so as part of a licensing agreement with shelby, and that shelby is the true owner of the documents, and not saac.

This is a subject where I should and am biting my tongue. Most of you know me and my SAAC status.

I'm loyal to SAAC & Kopec. I'm not giving up 25 years. It's always been about the club, the old cars, and conventions.

I'm very anti-Modern Shelby (Note the word MODERN) - It's ALL about the money. There's alot more, but I'm not going there.

Drop a bomb on that part of Vegas.

that rich-ass SOB is really pissing me off lately, he doesn't need the money, unless he finally gave it all away to the heart fund, but that's his problem not SAAC's problem. i propose that if he wins the suit that SAAC should burn all the documentation have and walk away. sad to say that wouldn't help the value of the cars any but it could be far better for them than to allow those documents to fall into corporate hands.:nono: :bs:

as far as i'm concerned Shelby has no rights to any of that information, he has the original documenatation on these cars from when they were built and that is all he is entitled to.:notnice: :bs:

someone in the legal system has to put a stop to this BS by ford and shelby, trademarks should only be allowed to cover certain things and not have absolute control over everything from clubs to aftermarket vendors, maybe parts but even that is a big maybe.:ban:

If Ford and Shelby are so committed to the hobby and the older classics why aren't they supporting them with parts? Sure they license them but somebody else has to take the initiative and all of the financial risk while they just take a cut of the profit.
I used to have respect for Shelby, I even named my daughter Shelby because of the Cobra's, but as far as I'm now concerned he can kiss my a$$.
I wonder if Shelby is this protective over his Chrysler cars? I'm guessing not since they aren't selling tons of $$ like his Mustangs and Cobras. Anybody remember the Shelby Series I? I didn't think so.

Here's the next slap in the face -- apparently Ol' Shel has come up with the idea that it would be cool if there were a club out there dedicated to his cars! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"This is MY club and we're going to have some real fun.....Shelby style!"
Carroll Shelby.

The legendary Carroll Shelby is creating a new community for enthusiasts of the cars built by his companies. Based in Dearborn, Michigan, “Team Shelby,” is the only club officially recognized by the factory for all vehicles built by Shelby, including 2006 and newer Shelby based Mustangs. The club will officially launch on January 11, 2008, which is Mr. Shelby's 85th birthday.

“People have asked me for years to form a club that will help them really enjoy their Shelby car,” said Carroll Shelby, Founder and CEO of Shelby Automobiles. “There's a new generation of cars, new faces at Shelby and people who want to enjoy their vehicle in new ways. The world has changed over the past 42 years, so we need a club to meet the needs of this new generation. We want to knit together those people with owners of early Shelbys and give everyone new ways to have fun with their high performance vehicle.”

Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap E.T's and learn new ways to hot rod their cars. He wanted to link all of those enthusiasts into one “dream garage” populated with Super Snakes, Hertz cars, Cobra's, supercharged Shelby GT's, Mustang GT's with Shelby performance parts, Series 1's, GLH's, Vipers and GT500's. Thus, Team Shelby was born.

“We're experts at creating winning teams by combining our strengths with those of others who have unique talents and skills,” said Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles. “So we took the same approach to create Team Shelby. It didn't make sense for us to form and operate a club on our own, so we looked for a partner who was a true enthusiast and capable of creating an organization that would give all its members real value. That led us to the S197 Shelby Owners Association.”

Robert Lane and Sharon Elliot founded the S197 Shelby Owners Association | S197ShelbyOA members: Click here for a special announcement | in early 2007. After meeting with Boylan, they evolved their organization into Team Shelby (www.TeamShelby.com). It is designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby. And just as the Shelby team relies on the latest technology to build their cars and products, Team Shelby will be at the forefront of the latest innovations.

“We're developing a Web site with member only areas that have videos, forums, podcasts, exclusive news and insights straight from the factory,” added Robert Lane. “And we're planning simulcasts briefings with Carroll and other key Shelby execs through the site. Plus, we'll invite Ford and other Shelby partners to communicate with our club members through it. This will enhance the sense of community and give team members the first crack at Shelby news, products and events.”

Team Shelby is not a “virtual club” the group will design and distribute a quarterly e-newsletter and is planning a full compliment of events such as tours of the Ford and Shelby facilities, a 40th anniversary GT500KR reunion, track days, Hertz reunion and other events. Membership includes official Shelby gear and an opportunity to learn more about the development of cars. Anyone can join Team Shelby on line for only $49.95 and receive benefits including:

• First news on all of the products and vehicles coming out of Shelby
• Exclusive access to members only areas of the Club web site
• Quarterly club publication
• Official Team Shelby T-shirt
• Two official club decals
• Shelby Commemorative magazine
• Shelby Key chain
• Two official membership cards
• Shelby Performance Parts catalog and discount on all parts

While interest in current generation Shelbys cars was the foundation for the club, ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and non-Ford powered vehicles.

“We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars,” added Carroll Shelby. “I'm member #001 and anyone who wants to have fun should join, whether or not they own a Shelby car. I'd love to see GT500's on the track with the high strung GLH's and limited edition Series 1 cars. We'll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way.”

About Shelby Automobiles
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles, Inc., manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company has partnered with Ford Motor Company to build the Shelby GT, Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT-H, which are based on the current Mustang. For more information about Shelby Automobiles, visit www.shelbyautos.com.

So folks are only now coming to the conclusion that Shelby is a sellout and waiting in the wings for the highest bidder??? What a suprise. :rolleyes:

BTW... were I in his position and could use my standing to make the kind of money he's making.... I'd sell out too. :nice:

BTW... were I in his position and could use my standing to make the kind of money he's making.... I'd sell out too. :nice:

Agreed, but there's a way to do it without alienating your fans and screwing those who helped bring you to that position in the first place.

Look at Foose -- nobody could argue that he's not milking his current position for everything it's worth, but he's going about it in a dignified way.

Agreed, but there's a way to do it without alienating your fans and screwing those who helped bring you to that position in the first place.

Look at Foose -- nobody could argue that he's not milking his current position for everything it's worth, but he's going about it in a dignified way.

True dat. Foose is still young though, and has a ways to go before becoming senile. Time will tell. hehe

I don't know all the details yet, it's really muddy currently.

Shelby and that band of (comment deleted by myself for reasons I won't say) from his curent company only respond to money, and are legendary for making promises.

While on the surfce it's a great idea, the execution of this whole fiasco is a clusterf***.

The Ol' Shicken-choker should have just let Lane & Elliot start & run the website /club independant of SAAC & work together with them, not deal with it at a corporate level.

Just look at what's happened. Nothing but bad press, bad feelings, mis-information, the stuff that quickly destroys legends, companies, reputations, fans, and fun.

As I have said to my contact deep within Ford, "maybe it's time to sell everything Ford, and get another Hurst/Olds. At least George Hurst is long dead, Oldsmobile is dead, and nobody is fighting over the cars".

Sigh, and I must say the following:

What I have said on this thread is MY OWN OPINION.

Gotta say that for any lawyers lurking.

This is what happens when you make a Man think he is more important then he is. He has only built one car in his career and it was a failure. He puts his name on someone else design and people pay more for it. Now who is at fault. You are the person who pays for a car with his name and pays a crazy price for something that has a higher value because you made him to be of value. Everyone that owns a Shelby makes a killing on his name when you go to sell the car but then you fault him for not wanting another return on his name. You would want the same that he wants if it was your name on the car.

This is what happens when you make a Man think he is more important then he is. He has only built one car in his career and it was a failure. He puts his name on someone else design and people pay more for it. Now who is at fault. You are the person who pays for a car with his name and pays a crazy price for something that has a higher value because you made him to be of value. Everyone that owns a Shelby makes a killing on his name when you go to sell the car but then you fault him for not wanting another return on his name. You would want the same that he wants if it was your name on the car.

and which car is it that he built that was a failure? the cobra? sorry that one was a winner. the GT-350/500? hmmm nope winner again. maybe the toyotas that he built? not really, even though they are not publicised. the olds project he worked on? nope that was the fault of GM. the viper? nope success there also. maybe it was when he was selling goodyear tires? nope. how about when he was a driver in the 50's? nope he was quite successful racing also as a driver.

as for faulting him for wanting to make a profit, and pritect his name, no problem there. if he can make a ton of money, i say more power to him. he wants to protect the shelby american name, i say great. trade marks need to be protected. the problem comes in when he decides that a company or a club that has done well by shelby, like the shelby american automobile club that mr kopec runs, needs to be shut down, or at least crippled because shelby has become eccentric in his old age. or to prevent the sale of shelby american parts to people who dont own shelby cars, that is wrong. it is like when harley davidson tried to trade mark the sound of their engines, fortunately the courts saw through the ruse, to prevent other bike manufacturers from building V-twin engines despite the fact that indian actually built the first 44.5 degree V-twin design that harley made famous.

Another idea,

We all know shelby is the longest Living heart-Kidney recipient. It's also no secret that his health has not been good, and his end is drawing near.

Is this any sort of final atempt to unify all the data, and go out in a final blaze of glory?

Another idea,

We all know shelby is the longest Living heart-Kidney recipient. It's also no secret that his health has not been good, and his end is drawing near.

Is this any sort of final atempt to unify all the data, and go out in a final blaze of glory?

You don’t have to burn everything to the ground to go out in a blaze of glory.