Shift Points

• Sponsors (?)

I guess while were talking about shift points I can ask a question. I just got a new tach Sunpro and according to that when I shift at what i usually do (5500) Im only really shifting at like 4700. And I set the shift light on my sunpro to 5500 and i never even hit the light because I got scared because on my stock tach I was way past redline. Should I trust the Sunpro? If so I think i found a few more mph. Thanks Ryan.

89gtVert said:
I guess while were talking about shift points I can ask a question. I just got a new tach Sunpro and according to that when I shift at what i usually do (5500) Im only really shifting at like 4700. And I set the shift light on my sunpro to 5500 and i never even hit the light because I got scared because on my stock tach I was way past redline. Should I trust the Sunpro? If so I think i found a few more mph. Thanks Ryan.
Maybe you didn't set it right :shrug:

5700 on the 5.0l...6800 on the 351, That tach issue can not be right, Hard to believe that any tach is that far off with out having some problems. You should be able to "feel" the power drop off before the red line. You can use your speed and gearing to figure RPM. I think the calculator for that is on stangnet somewhere.

about 500 rpms above peak power IMO.

as far as the tach being off, it wouldn't surprise me at all that an 87-93 stock tach is 6-700 rpms off. the fox bodies are often times a mile off while the 94 and up seems to be pretty close to dead on. my 92 is 5-600 off as well on the top side.. I set it with a digatal meter when i installed the white faces, so its right on at idle, but the higher the rpms the farther off it gets when i tested it with the meter.

Shift points should be based on a dyno torque curve and your tramsmission gears - you want to keep the rpms near peak torque after the shift. My shift points are 6,000 rpm 1-2, 5,400 rpm 2-3 and 5,200rpm 3-4.