Drivetrain Shifting Gears 2003 Mach 1

Hello all, I've been a mustang owner since May 12th, 2014, bought a 2003 Zinc Yellow Mach 1. I'm new to mustangs and cars overall and new to this forum, i wanted to ask about gear shifting. I didnt know how to drive stickshift when I got the car, I spent a lot of time in a empty parking garage practing. I noticed the car not pulling as hard when i move to 2nd and 3rd compared to when i first got it, Im only doing about 15mph when I switch to 2nd gear, and only doing about 23-30 when i switch to 3rd, is this normal? I also noticed a grinding scratchy noise when I give the car gas on the highway in 5th gear, its been doin it for a little while now wondering if anyone had an idea of what that could be.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, that's pretty normal, 3rd gear's not going to pull hard at 23-30 mph. Off the top of my head the tach is around 1500 rpms around 25 mph in 3rd so you're not really going to go anywhere until you hit maybe 35-40 mph. These aren't exact numbers so I'll hop in the car and check later.

As for the sound, I'm not too sure, but it could be a worn clutch, I know I wore out mine when I was learning on my gt. If you have an aftermarket shifter it could possibly be gear whine. I get what sounds almost like a scratchy sound when cruising in 5th on the highway, but that's just audible gear whine that comes with having an aftermarket shifter.

Reactions: 1 user