shock recommendations (updated quickchange pics in here too)

corpse

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2001
chicago area
Well, the time is here, albeit rather late, and the quickchange is finally making it's way in the car, the rearend itself is about 95% done, just have to machine the hubs a little more to allow them to locate properly on my wheels, and then lastly, powder coat the axle tubes..

To my question.. I'm looking for some shock recommendations. Of corpse, I'm familiar with the ever-so-great-yet-reasonably-priced KYB's, but not sure if that's my best choice.. I plan on taking the car to auto-x tracks and also some of the larger 2.x mile road tracks, all for play, since the car is driven PLENTY on the street.. Maybe I should look at adjustable shocks??

edit: second question - anyone know where I can get the shock plates, that go on the bolt to the u-bolts below the leaf spring, for rearend with 3" axle tubes?? the stock ones are a tad bit too skinny to modify.

Here's a couple pics of the rearend as it sits in the car now..
hafdun_rearview.jpg

hafdun_qc_thru_gastank.jpg

The "puritans" of the classic stang world won't like this one, as you can tell I had to hack a chunk of the perfect sheet metal away.

hafdun_rearview_hub_cu.jpg

Here's a cu of the rotor and hub setup.. I used wilwood hubs since I had them laying around awhile, I'm not too thrilled about the major spacing on these, but I'm not going to worry about it this year (or next for that matter).

rotor_and_hub.jpg

Here's the rotor and hub.. The drive plates aren't in this pic, those are at the shop at the moment.

• Sponsors (?)

For adjustability, go with Koni's. You may however be able to find an alternative through Afco. I don't know the front/rear shock specs but Afco may have some recommendations. Mustangs Plus also has some adjustable shock alternatives.

As far as some heavy duty shock plates, check out Cobra Automotive. IIRC they have several choices available to suite your needs even though they are not listed on their website.

Corpse,

Good to see you back around here.

I've got the Edelbrocks on all 4 corners and really like them. They are more firm then my old KYB's on smooth asphalt, but the valving lets them respond to changes in the pavement.

Tim