shocks for my car???

HO5POINTO1990

Aug 12, 2003
San Jose
I am looking for shocks for my car. My shocks in the front left are making lots of noises, so I figured I'd just replace them and the other three while I am at it. The car has 75,000 miles so is that a good time to replace one if not all shocks? Now, let me first state that I know NOTHING ABOUT SHOCKS OR SUSPENSION. I am curiosu if they make performance shocks????? And I am looking for shocks that are REASONABLE in price. Basically I want the biggest bang for my buck. And I'm not sure if shocks will lower my car :shrug: are there some that do that??? I know that springs can lower your car, because my friend got lowering springs for his 1998 mustang gt with an inch and a half lower. I have heard of Koni shocks, but don't know where to find them or what type I am looking for? I could just be confused with Koni springs :shrug: please post me LOTS OF COMMENTS on what I should do because I need some directions. I have no idea where to go. thanks :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Konis are expensive... I got Tokico 5 way adj. shocks and like them. Saved a little this way. A cheap upgrade would be your KYB. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Koni has a few models to choose from, Its all in the price.

I've heard KYB are the best bang for your buck on shocks/struts. That's what I'll be getting when I get new springs to lower my car. While you're at it, might as well change your quad shocks.
Shocks/struts alone will not lower your car, springs are what hold your car up, so you'll need 'shorter' springs to lower your car, shocks/struts absorb the bumps in the road.

I'll third the KYB vote for bang for the buck. You should be able to get a 6pc kit for around $200 if you shop around a little. You only emphasized, but didn't clarify "reasonable". The next step up would be Tokicos. Koni prices are only reasonable if you are a total fanatic. They are one of the very best, and they cost it. Try at least 3-4 times the cost of KYB's, twice the cost of adjustable Tokicos. I prefer Bilstiens Sports- right in the $600-$650 range, with a lifetime garantee. Same level and price as Koni's, more user friendly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2448999802

are these good? J/w because I don't know how to shop for these? I guess I'll just keep looking around for more KYB shocks/strut sets. If anyone all ready knows where I can get a set for a good price then let me know. And what is the difference between these KYB shocks/struts and the ADJUSTABLE ones that go for like 340 dollars? J/w ok thanks

Yes, that's a good deal. I don't know anyplace to get a full set of GR2's for that price, but someone else may pipe up.
The diference in adjustable ones is that, well, they are... adjustable. This is only an advantage if you like to mess with stuff- or have a multi-purpose car. A setting for street, one for drag, one for corners, etc.

DON'T BUY THAT ONE ON EBAY. I KNOW I POSTED IT, BUT AFTER LOOKING INTO IT THE REAR SHOCKS ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK!!! it's a scam. I looked up the front two shocks and they matched up to some pretty good shocks. The front two are sold for 60 bucks a piece on summitracing.com And after looking up the part number for the rears, they're just replacable shocks. They ARE KYB, but they are not the performace type. The models that I am looking at for a decent price are these two: KYB-235009 KYB-743020
The rear ones are sold for about 80 bucks a piece. I was wondering why that was so cheap. So no one buy that unless u wanna get scammed

wow, again that last post just showed how much i don't know about suspension. I guess they are the right fitting shocks. It's just on summitracing.com They don't specify that they fit the mustang. lol. But I found a better price for all 4. After shipping and everything it was 160 dollars. So if you are also lookin for shocks, i link you the website. later. thanks all

I have the 6pc KYB set on my 89. Great shocks/struts for the money. The valving on the KYB gas-adjusts makes the car ride a bit on the harsher side, considering they're a fairly soft shock. For the money though, a great shock. I have no experience with the GR2's though.

HO5POINTO1990 said:
...Now, let me first state that I know NOTHING ABOUT SHOCKS OR SUSPENSION... please post me LOTS OF COMMENTS on what I should do because I need some directions. I have no idea where to go. thanks :flag:
OK. What you should do depends on what you want to be able to do. First, you want to decide what the purpose of your stang is to you; then you want to go here: http://maximummotorsports.com/ You want to call this number: 805-544-8748 and talk to a tech. You want to tell them what you want to be able to do with your stang, what your goals are, and that they were recommended because they have Godlike omniscience with the Mustang suspension, and you are interested in Bilstiens. They can teach you what you need to know to get moving, and tell you what steps to take and what order to take them to get where you want to go as financially efficient as possible. They will very likely sell you something cheaper that will meet your needs more expediently- I've seen it. Whatever the outcome, spend some time on the phone with them and you won't ever find yourself asking this particular question again. Good that you are honest enough to come right out and say it- but say it to the wrong people and you can wind up with all kinds of stuff that won't do what you want, a few parts that will, and no more money. You want advice and service from someone who will help you lay out a workable plan, not just sell you parts.