Shooting for 12.40s, what do you think it will run?

Feb 11, 2007
Shooting for 12s, what do you think it will run?

Haven't been to the track in a lllllloooonnnnggggg time. Last time on my old setup:

The car is a 66 coupe 3000 lb with driver. Here is the combo:

Engine:
-357W 9.8:1 compression
-170cc Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
-.530 lift 230 duration @.050 hydraulic roller cam 112 LSA I believe
-Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake with 750 holley vac sec. carb

This was the old run with a mild C4 and the stock 8" 2.79 axle. I couldn't get on it until about 60-80 ft out.

It ran 13.4 at 109 mph. New setup is a T5 with centerforce clutch and an 8.8 with 3.73s and posi, and nitto drag radials too. Make your guesses on et/MPH, and when it gets to the track we will see who's closest! Also any ideas on driving style launching a manual transmission car? I could use a few!

• Sponsors (?)

Off hand I'd say 13-flat. The gears will help, but the manual trans may actually cost you a couple tenths. T5's are tough to speed shift in my experience, and I always had to back out of the throttle at least halfway on each shift. As for launch technique, I'd hold the RPM's at about 3000 and let the clutch out smoothly but quickly. If it bogs go up a touch on the revs. I wouldn't just side-step the clutch, since that's a good way to break stuff and/or spin the tires.

Off hand I'd say 13-flat. The gears will help, but the manual trans may actually cost you a couple tenths. T5's are tough to speed shift in my experience, and I always had to back out of the throttle at least halfway on each shift. As for launch technique, I'd hold the RPM's at about 3000 and let the clutch out smoothly but quickly. If it bogs go up a touch on the revs. I wouldn't just side-step the clutch, since that's a good way to break stuff and/or spin the tires.
They're not THAT tough to shift as long as you have a good aftermarket shifter with built-in stop bolts. Of course, if you power shift a T-5 you're GOING to break it. Not the first time, perhaps, but it's inevitable if you keep it up.

That being said, I think 12s are very easily attainable. You're going from 2.79s to 3.73s, and the smaller amount of parasitic loss with the manual versus the auto will help you out as well. And since you say "drag radials too" I assume that your previous time of 13.4 was on street tires. I agree with blown65 that if you shift good and get good traction you could get it down to a 12.4. Good luck! :nice:

right, it ran the number before on 205 series rubber.

I talked with my insurance company and got tow coverage added, so that automatically raises my launch rpm by 2000 rpm. the old 60 ft time for the 13.4 run was ~2.45 IIRC