shooting for a goal

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
Ok guys my goal for this car for the next few years is low 8s or high 7s in the 1/8th. i'm wanting to race in the 8.0 brackets this year or the next.

Right now i'm currently talking to a guy about getting a 98 v6 4r70w. I've also been talking to silverfox from over at clickclickracing.com and will be going with his manual valvebody. With talking to him we've come up with a stock 4r70w with a good converter and a good trans cooler should hold up to what i'm wanting to do for a while atleast.

The motor will be my 351w (which i'm close to being finished with) with the stuff in my sig that i already have.

Next to be installed will be the rearend. Havent decided on what carrier to go with but know that i'll be going 31 spline and most likely 4.10 gears.

To reach my goal of the 8.0 bracket i think i'm going to need to see an estimated 12.5 in the 1/4. My questions are:

How reachable does everyone see my goal?

What type of suspension mods will i need? ( been doing searches for a while and dont see much more that struts and springs. really wanting a bang for my buck suspension setup that i can put together peice by peice and not drain my wallet all at once)

What stall converter? (i've been looking into dirty dog converters. May just wait till i order my cam from Ed Curtis to decide)

What carrier to go with? Looking at Ford Racing M-4204-F318 - Ford Racing Traction-Lok Differentials - Overview - SummitRacing.com

What do you guys think? Really want some input. This car isn't an all out drag car but street use will just be romping around town and the occasional 70 mile round trip to work.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 351W in my 95 Cobra and have run a best of 7.9 in the 1/8th and run 12.5 in the 1/4. My suspension set up was MM Lower Control Arms and stock suspension. My 60' time was 1.710. I have made big suspension upgrades since then but do not have any new times due to some issues that kept coming up. Being an auto you will be more consistent then with a manual. I ran MT Drag slicks and 17" cobra rims on the front at the time. My Engine had AFR 185 heads, shorty headers, TFSR intake and a custom Ed Curtis cam. As far as your goal being reachable I dont see why it wont be. Depends on your experience at the track as well but i was able to hit those times with many suspension and weight mods that had not been yet done to mine. I also have the same carrier you posted the link of.

I would say that you are not going to do well in that bracket, unless you take the supercharger off. That car is going to run way lower than 8.0s in the 1/8th. You're looking at a low 11 second quarter mile even with basically stock suspension.

Kurt

Sorry need to changer the sig. The goal was to put the blower on it but that will be in the distant future.

Thanks for the info Venom i didnt realize you had such a basic suspension when you ran those times. I was expecting it to take more than that to get a decent time.

And Mystery Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51500004 - Trick Flow® R-Series Intake Manifolds for Ford 351 Windsor - Overview - SummitRacing.com this is the intake that i currently have. I believe it was the same intake that Venom was running when he ran the times that I'm shooting for.

thank you for the help guys. I used to run a 9.8 in my car completely stock as a rock and the trans not wanting to shift right. So with those times i ran in the 10.0 bracket and although it wasnt a huge bracket i still really enjoyed it. The 8.0 bracket is a much more competitive bracket to race in locally and i'm really looking forward to competing in it.

I have MT Slicks on weld 15' rims they are a 26" tire. The set up I had before did not have very good weight transfer but since I ran those times Ive added strange 10 ways shocks/struts with a Team Z K member and pulled out the A/C System and this year I'll also be running skinny's on the front. Last year was a lot of trial and error with the shocks/struts trying to dial them in and I had clutch issues in the middle of the summer. Over all I improved my 60' time to a 1.66 but I did not get below a 12.5. I currently have a set of heads being set up by Ed curtis they are 240cc Trick Flow High ports that Im going to run with his cam and the Victor 5.8 intake. And yes the TFSR was on when I ran the 12.5 and the 7.9, they were both on the same run.

Here are a few track pics and what taking some weight off the front end can do even while still running stock size rims.

DragStrip.jpg

002-35.jpg

0814D10_6095.jpg