Shop Let Me Down Big Time!!

gunmetal5.0

May 10, 2006
Chico, CA
Well, i'm having to take a deep breath and not put my fist through anything here. So originally when I went carbureted I was just using the existing harness that the car had when it was EFI and I had it working pretty well except for a few things. So I bought a new universal wiring harness(similar to painless) and took it to a friends place where I could work on it(they won't let me do any work on my car here at my apartment) and removed the old harness completely.

I put in the new fuse block and began running each section(rear, front, engine, dash, etc.). Well I got the headlights, taillight section and rear and a bunch more done. I needed the engine, some of the dash and the iginition and charging systems to be done. I was partially afraid of burning the harness up and also pretty pressed for time to work on the project(college student, work). So I had to go against my don't have a mechanic touch my car idea. Well, I found a shop that really talked themselves up like this would be cake for them and so I had the car brought over there that day, payed them several hundred dollars deposit and two weeks later, when the car is slated to be done.... They're talking about 'well, you can come get the car and your deposit back and no hard feelings'... Well there are hard feelings! I'm pissed! What are they capable of doing, changing oil and wiper blades? They're supposed to be experienced in wiring and they took on the job playing themselves up like it would be cake and here it is two weeks later and they haven't done a damn thing and expect me to just smile about that? Two weeks of my time that i've had to go without my mustang means a lot to me. And I was prepared to pay good money for this job, why is it okay to put my project on the backburner? So now I have to pay for another tow, probably go back to doing it myself, and have my car out of commission for who know how much longer?! And there's no hard feelings? Think again mother ****ers. I've seen more professional mechanics working at wal mart changing oil. So now what...

• Sponsors (?)

So they PIITB on me as far as wasting my time but i'm going to turn this project around and get it done myself. The money that I had to pay them with(about 600) is going to go into all new switches instead(ignition, headlight, wiper, dimmer)Altogether I could get these for under 75 bucks. Then i'm going to get a new one wire alternator or whichever is the most plug-n-play with this harness. This leaves me money to get the new clear 6 pc. headlights i've been wanting(around 100), a nice clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster(35ish), and that's about it so far. Anyone have any suggestions on what could make this job easier or cheap upgrades since i'll still have some dough left? Thanks! :D

Not sure where you left off, gunmaster, the usual Mustang catlogs have most of that electrical stuff, and I wouldn't know where the differences are in the whole EFI/carb changeover. I do know that my brother-in-law is heavy duty into the street rod thing, a 29 3 window coupe, steel, not a kit, and he built it from a pile on the garage floor, wins shows all over the midwest,all that stuff. Anyhow, the street rodders have people in their magazines that fabricate anything and everything, might be of some help if it all goes awry(more, than it has, anyway) and that electrical business is something they all have to invent to their needs. Don't know how that helps, but, if you get stuck...

It's not as complicated as it seems. It's essentially going to be just like a 60's mustang. The harness is essentially made for wiring up hot rods. Simple as could be. The hard part is just in trying to tap into the existing headlight, wiper and ignition switches. Instead i'll just fork over the money to get the switches the kit recommends so that I can just follow the instructions to the letter. I'm just pissed the shop said they could do it no problem and they haven't done jack, wasting my time and towing the thing all over. But i'm over that. They're giving me the several hundred dollar deposit back which is more than enough to buy universal switches and some other goodies i've been wanting. :D I might still want some pointers when I get the car back and start wiring. And some suggestions for upgrades would be cool too. Currently i'm looking at getting new clear headlights and the clutch quadrant/FWA upgrade. Also probably an alternator but not sure which one yet hmmm.