Shopping for heads. Who/What is SBF?

justhereforinfo

Jul 15, 2008
Just browsing around on ebay for a new set of heads when I came across these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...rkparms=39:1|65:1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

What should I look for in a h/c/i combo on a stock block? Obviously they need to be somewhat compatible as far as flow goes. I know it wouldnt make sense to get a set of high flowing heads with the stock intake manifold, or vice versa. Or to use the wrong cam, but what I'm trying to figure out is....will a higher flowing combo always make more power? Or should I be looking for something moderate, since I'm keeping the stock redline?

My ultimate goal is 300+whp off the spray. Suggest an i/c/h combo to get me there please. This will be on a 92 coupe. One more thing, will I need a tuning device such as a predator or sct? Or can I just slap in some injectors?

• Sponsors (?)

Just browsing around on ebay for a new set of heads when I came across these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part...rkparms=39:1|65:1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

What should I look for in a h/c/i combo on a stock block? Obviously they need to be somewhat compatible as far as flow goes. I know it wouldnt make sense to get a set of high flowing heads with the stock intake manifold, or vice versa. Or to use the wrong cam, but what I'm trying to figure out is....will a higher flowing combo always make more power? Or should I be looking for something moderate, since I'm keeping the stock redline?

My ultimate goal is 300+whp off the spray. Suggest an i/c/h combo to get me there please. This will be on a 92 coupe. One more thing, will I need a tuning device such as a predator or sct? Or can I just slap in some injectors?

I probably shouldnt say "Ultimate" goal, more like very short term. I just need something cheap thats fun to drive, that can make near 400ft lbs on some spray.

What's the budget, that's what matters most.

For compatibility and what's a pretty complete setup the TFS twisted wedge package is pretty good, saves alot of shopping.
With the right Throttle body, maf and injectors, that should get you very close to 300rwhp.

Better can definitely be done, but after that it starts to really hurt your wallet.
Thats' why i asked the budget.

Oh, and SBF stands for Small Block ford, bascially a 302 based engine. It's not a brand name, it's a description.

Don't use any cheap no name brand heads either, they have nothing but complaints.
Use TFS twisted wedges, afr 165's, edelbrock rpms, or gt40x's.

What's the budget, that's what matters most.

For compatibility and what's a pretty complete setup the TFS twisted wedge package is pretty good, saves alot of shopping.
With the right Throttle body, maf and injectors, that should get you very close to 300rwhp.

Better can definitely be done, but after that it starts to really hurt your wallet.
Thats' why i asked the budget.

Oh, and SBF stands for Small Block ford, bascially a 302 based engine. It's not a brand name, it's a description.

Don't use any cheap no name brand heads either, they have nothing but complaints.
Use TFS twisted wedges, afr 165's, edelbrock rpms, or gt40x's.

Thanks. What is the tuning tool used by most mustang owners? Do I need to worry about tuning when modifying the i/c/h? I know the predator works well on the lightning my friend has, and its self tunable. Whereas the SCT needs to be tuned by someone with the full tuning package. Well at least thats how it works for the Dodge SRT4. I'm used to tuning with a SAFC but i believe they only work on MAP sensor equipped vehicles.

I know I have a bit of research to do still, but I appreciate the help.

EDIT: To answer your question about the budget, the wife has me strapped down to exactly $300 per month. Along with my nuts, indefinitely.

You need no tuning device, other than a timing gun and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge.
The rest of the tuning equipment is not needed on 5.0 efi setups.

89-95 mustangs adapt very well to modifications without computer tuning.

What mods do you have now?

Um none actually. I dont even own the coupe. I own an 85 hatch with a 306, holley 670cfm 4 barrel, ported stock heads, 1.6rr, cobra trans, performer intake, lt headers and dumped exhaust. But that cars going to a friend and Im getting the coupe this week.

I believe it has a king cobra clutch and exhaust. Im just doing research so I know which path I want to take. Thanks again.