Shopping for new exhaust- few questions

BLACKCOUPEGT

Aug 9, 2009
I'm going to be in the market for a new catback exhaust system for my 04 gt soon. After months of debate, searching different systems, and hours of youtube study sessions, I think i have my heart set on the borla stinger system with a bassani off road x pipe (hopefully some long tubes later down the road). But my dilemma is how much i dislike the look of the borla exhaust tips that come with the system. i would much rather have the flowmaster, magnaflow, or slp tips instead, which brings me to my question... do i buy the borla system and swap tips, or buy the other system and switch mufflers? i'd rather keep it easy and not buy everything separate either. So what's the best plan of attack? which would be easiest? any advice welcome. thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

If you want long tubes down the road, you are wasting money on a mid-pipe at this point. Long tubes will require a much shorter matched mid pipe than stock exhaust or shorties. Don't let that convince you to go with shorties though. They are a complete waste of money. No power to be gained from them whatsoever.

I would advise you to wait and purchase longtubes and midpipe at the same time. You can match up whatever mufflers and pipes you would like to them. You could even purchase the mufflers and pipes before you ever get to headers and mid pipe.

I know you said you want Borla, may I ask why? Have you heard some of the other profiles out there? I have heard a lot of them, and while Borla is ok, I definitely don't think they are the best. I recommend you check out MustangExhaust.com - Blog

There are plenty of profiles there to listen to. I myself prefer Spin Tech.

Sound is all really subjective and everyone has their own opinions, so to each their own. I personally don't really like a lot of the videos on youtube because most of them are just at idle, possibly with or without a cam, and with no consistency as to outdoors or indoors, and the cars in the video will never have the same mods as you (believe me, all of this makes a big difference). You could get the exact same system as what you hear in a video and your car sound nothing like your expectations.

I recommend you listen to as many profiles as possible. And listen while the cars are under load on the road or on a dyno, not just at idle in a garage.

If you have already done that and Borla is what you want, then just purchase the mufflers and go to whichever manufacturer you like the pipes of and order them, or if you like your stock pipes, save some money and just stick with them. Just be sure that whichever company you get pipes from, their mufflers are the same dimensions as the borlas. That way you don't have to do any cutting, welding, or fabricating.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more information.

The most logical and fiscal thing to do is to buy the mufflers you want with the tips you want and get it all welded into the stock catback.

There is nothing wrong with the stock catback, the only restrictive thing about it is the stock mufflers....go ahead and buy a 500$ aftermarket cat-back if you want but just know you are paying 3-400$ more for all of maybe a 1hp gain...

Some will argue that the stock 2.25" exhaust piping is restrictive compared to the mandrel bent 2.5" aftermarket piping which is true, but all in all, we're talking about 1-2rwhp...if you think spending 400$ more for 1-2rwhp is worth it then go for it...I have always ran weld-in mufflers personally...

The most logical and fiscal thing to do is to buy the mufflers you want with the tips you want and get it all welded into the stock catback.

There is nothing wrong with the stock catback, the only restrictive thing about it is the stock mufflers....go ahead and buy a 500$ aftermarket cat-back if you want but just know you are paying 3-400$ more for all of maybe a 1hp gain...

Some will argue that the stock 2.25" exhaust piping is restrictive compared to the mandrel bent 2.5" aftermarket piping which is true, but all in all, we're talking about 1-2rwhp...if you think spending 400$ more for 1-2rwhp is worth it then go for it...I have always ran weld-in mufflers personally...

+1...Lt's with an H pipe and Magnaflows :nice:

Go with a VRS x pipe (its a true x) then get what ever cat back you want. I have been running magnapacks for 3 years and like the sound a lot. I might try something different down the road like flowmaster 44s to see how they sound with my LTs, catted VRS X pipe and stage II cams.