Short Belt Question

94Blue302GT

Oct 20, 2003
Chicago
I was thinking of getting a short belt, but I was wondering if it takes out the air pump as well as the air? And is there anything else i would need to do to get it on there different than a standard pump?
Thanks!
Lee

• Sponsors (?)

I had to put a short belt on my car today to bypass the smog pump. there was no way I was getting a 895k6 which is what people said they used, so i had to get a 90" 6 rib from a different parts shop, and it fit perfectly, but dang it cost a bunch i guess since its a rare length..

I used the 90"6 as well on mine.. All I bypassed was the smog pump. I had asked ppl on other boards what size to get and they told me 89" and one like 83" or something like that.... Well they were ALL WRONG!! 90"6 is enough to get rid of your smog pump if its the only thing you are deleting. You dont' need a pulley set to take the place of that pump as you would for the a/c pump.

Jamie95Gt said:
I used the 90"6 as well on mine.. All I bypassed was the smog pump. I had asked ppl on other boards what size to get and they told me 89" and one like 83" or something like that.... Well they were ALL WRONG!! 90"6 is enough to get rid of your smog pump if its the only thing you are deleting. You dont' need a pulley set to take the place of that pump as you would for the a/c pump.

you do on the cobras due to the oil cooler lines

I need an 89 inch belt with my pullies, but no one makes one around here. so I have to live with my 89.5 which is too short, but gets the job done.

an 88.7 is what autozone had, but that was to short to even go over the idler pullies lip.

95snoozer said:
I need an 89 inch belt with my pullies, but no one makes one around here. so I have to live with my 89.5 which is too short, but gets the job done.
that made no sense. if an 89.5" is too short, and the other number you listed is definitly too short, what makes you think a 89" is going to fit when its halfway in between those 2 numbers? maybe you meant go up to a 90"? I got my 90" at o'reilly, its a gates belt and cost 40 bucks :mad: :mad: :nonono:

Mine was $30... And 95snoozer.... I have a "95GT" hence the name.. When I asked others about what size and they gave me the wrong size number.... I had told them 95 GT, 5.0 Nothing to do with Cobras... so if they were telling me that size for the cobra then they were wrong still. Cobra...5.0= two different engines! :)

I know this is an old post, but if anyone cares, I just did this today and needed a 81 1/3" belt for a 94 GT with underdriven waterpump and crank pulley, no A/C, and no smog pump. Hope that helps someone!

Jon