shorten driveshaft

daddy oth

Mar 12, 2007
well,i been working on my '66 coupe w/t-5 conv. now i'm stuck w/ the drive shaft the slip yoke from t-5 has a locking clip but the stock drive line doesn't have the locking clip in it. i have both driveline('93 and '66) which one should i use and how short does to have to be? PLEASE HELP i need to get it done by this weekend.

thank you

Oth

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the stock driveshaft uses internal clips? You just need a combination joint with internal C clip grooves on two cups. If you can find one like it, buy one joint of each and swap the cups to make what you need. As for length, you need to figure that yourself. The slip yoke needs to go in the tailshaft about halfway, or insert it all the way in then with draw it an inch or so to see if the shaft needs shortening.

You can do it yourself. I just replaced the stock driveshaft in my 77 Comet with one from an 02 Mustang. Nothing special was needed. I reused the 02 U joints. All I replaced was the transmission slip yoke. The center to center dimension was virtually the same for both. The Comet's driveshaft was 45.5" and the 02's was 45.75" At the most all you'll need is a combination U joint. Your local parts house has these in stock, all you need to do is bring the yokes and driveshaft with you and have a willing parts guy to help you with it.

i was hoping i'll get it dond by this weekend but no such luck:mad: took the d-shaft to the shop they have to change the yoke on the shaft and shorten 1" and cost me $200.man...with all the run around and frustration i hope is worth it.

Probably too late now, but you could take this oppertunity to swap in an aluminum drive shaft from an early 90's aerostar. Mine cost $25 at the wrecker and an additional $25 to shorten (cost $50 more than what having my stock driveshaft shortened was going to cost me and I got to keep the stocker as a spare).

had i known that before, i would have gone that route but yes is too late. installed the shaft today now my next obstacle is to tackle the clutch pedal assy. i really don't know that's gonna go:shrug:

thanks for that info. i'll keep that in mine

thank you
daddy oth