Shorties or long tubes

Pops Fun

10 Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi
Redoing my combo since I blew it up at the track!! Had shorty headers and think I will go with another set!! Don't like the Mac's I have hard time lining them up..... Thinking of some stainless JBA headers. then started thinking, more low end torque with LT.

Do the LT hang lower than "normal". I am already low and it can be a pain. Speed bumps are bad and have hit high spots in the road, I have heard and seen a few cars that the LT hang pretty low..

What say you!!

• Sponsors (?)

Steve

About a year or so ago we did a little bit of research on just what you
ask about here :D

I took a reference point on the car we all have and measured the lowest
point of my exhaust system from that point

Again ... measured from that point and NOT to the ground

That takes the different ride heights we all have out of the picture ;)

Quite a few other members did the same :spot:

We found LT's hung no lower than Shortys :eek:

Grady

I would recommend keeping the shortys ONLY because you're still using another stock block for the build. No reason to spend more money and add more power when the block will only break again eventually. If you are using a aftermarket block, then definitely go 1 3/4" longtube. I have no problems with my bbk longtubes as far as clearance goes.

I had just enough time to do a quick reply last night and wanted to add
a bit more info to the above post :)

Most folks focus is gonna be on scraping something on the ground :Word:

Something common was ..........
the lowest point on exhaust systems ... LT's or Shortys ............
was usually the muffler or some point along the e pipe

My Mac hug the floor pan pretty tight :nice:

From what I've seen ... the same can be said for BBK also

I am talking 1 5/8 inch so larger might be different :shrug:

I can say every set of Kooks I've seen people talk about and post
pics up on this site has one side that hangs VERY low

anyhow ... just a bit more info :D

Grady

If you look at the link to the 1994 Cobra in my sig, get to the car domain site, page 2, there are a few good pics of BBK Long Tubes and where they sit. I had the car on Coil Overs in the end with this setup, and the only scrape I ever dealt with was a surprise speed bump. I swear that thing came out of the blue.

Not to mention the LTs add a nice depth to you exhaust note.

As stated above, mid lengths wouldn't be a bad route either. Thats what I use on my 04. Its a bit different though.

With that kind of engine, I would definately recommend stepping up to long tubes. That really has no effect on whether or not you use a stock block, because that generates power at a higher efficiency level, which does not adversely effect the load on the engine as much.

Kurt

i hear you with money always being the limiting factor but it would be soooo much easier to put them on with the engine out of the car. I would strongly recommend putting them on now and calling it a day. sell the exhaust you have to make up for some of the difference.