Shorty Headers Anyone?

dolfan87

Founding Member
Dec 28, 2000
Lake Havasu, AZ
I sold my Hedman long tubes to mustang70 today (welcome home bro ;) ) and since my car is lowered quite a bit, I wanted to run a ceramic coated shorty header.

I have the TCP power rack, TKO tremec, and power brakes. Does anyone here have experience with shorty's on a 351W?

I was looking through Summit Racing and I found a couple shorty's but nothing ceramic coated for my year.

Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Ohhh shortys...... Probly the biggest problem ive had with my 289 was the shortys. The gasket connecting them to the pipes blew out around 10 times, lost a few bolts every time. Paied $250+ to have the pipes tucked up to a better angle so they wouldnt do that, but it still did. They just now finally stoped blowing gaskets and coming loose, but to trade for that that welds on the collector is coming apart now. They are super loud and pop on decell.
Just my $.02
BTW you can get headers ceramiccoated for about 200, think allcarfan does it too.

Mosse said:
Perhaps you should first try them and then get them coated??
Exactly, get painted and then do any "modifying" they need with a hammer or so on, then coat. My friend had to modify for a power steering after he got his coated and ruined the $200 coat job.

Thanks for the shocks.I can't wait to get them on!! I have $20 Monroes on front now and i hate them.
I would have them on, but I am kind of busy tonight.

As for headers, I think the Headman’s for a 351w are what I’m going to run. I have them in the garage right now. If you want pics, I can do.....not coated though.

Welcome back Bob!!

streetgrande69 said:
Thanks for the shocks.I can't wait to get them on!! I have $20 Monroes on front now and i hate them.
I would have them on, but I am kind of busy tonight.

As for headers, I think the Headman’s for a 351w are what I’m going to run. I have them in the garage right now. If you want pics, I can do.....not coated though.

Welcome back Bob!!

Actually yes I would like to see the drivers side header. I just sold Bob my ceramic coated hedmans, because they didn't fit with the valve covers I am running. I know that sounds weird, but the ones I bought have a tube that runs up and actually contacts the valve cover.

So if your's don't do that, then I could order a set and have them coated.

I hope you enjoy the shocks, I also have brand new progressive springs if anyone is looking for a set. I installed them to move the car around, but never driven, and they still look good.

You may want to try the ones made by Pertronix. They are sold under a different name, Patriot I think it is. Pertronix is like the parent company. Anyway they are maybe a little longer than most shortys, but not full length. I think they're like $280 at summit--ceramic coated. Someone over on VMF reported that he liked 'em. Might want to try to look that one up. They are pretty new on the market.