Should I be able to hit 13's?

Great68

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Victoria BC
With my current combo, well tuned, once I get the 9" in with the 3.50 gears (and trak-loc)?

All i'm shooting for this summer is to be able to walk on my buddy's 91 5.0. He talks a lot of smack, and it pisses me off. When someone is giving me compliments about my car, he'll make a comment "Too bad it's slow".

There's nothing special about his car, and he doesn't know how to drive worth a damn. He has 4.10 gears, exhaust, chip, and all he managed to get at the dragstrip was a 14.6.

• Sponsors (?)

GaPonyFarm said:
Not enough cam and too much carb.... In general, just not enough engine. I seriously doubt you'll be in the 13's, unless you're spraying... Sorry.

What's up... Haven't seen you in a while ? Think the carb is too much ? Maybe.. that cam doesn't have much dur at .050 does it ? I think 13's are possible. Doesn't take a gobs of HP.

A bigger cam will benefit you and really take advantage of those heads.

Great68 said:
225/50R16, stock convertor (I will swap it for a 2500 stall soon enough).

What kind of tire? As for your combo, IMO there is nothing wrong with it. Yeah, the cam is a little small. But it's a good combo and I'd bet you've got in the neighborhood of 350-360hp. Plenty of torque too.

When you pull the motor apart, have those AFRs ported on the exhaust side.

I have a pretty mild and streetable combo like yours with Twisted Wedge heads, 1 size larger cam (XE268H), standard RPM intake, 2 1/2" exhaust, C4 with shift kit, and 3.55 gears and I ran a 13.91 this summer in my '66.
I think you should be close, if not in the 13's, once you get the gears.
And you should certainly beat a 14.6 if you can drive at all. :D

I like the combo too...
The carb is just right IMO.
I can't see anything to keep you from the 13s with the trac-lok and 3.50s.
A converter might help some, but you don't want to knock out some of your bottom end with that small cam, so if you do use a verter, keep it real mild.
Your biggest problem might be traction, but the trac-lok will help some.
Good luck.
Dave

A little more gear wouldn't hurt but you definately need a stall. Don't know if more cam will make that much difference with 289 cubes. It'll probably just idle rougher. The bigger you go with the cam, the more torque you're giving up.

I think his combo is perfect for a 289 also. I wouldn't change a thing. I've seen lots of dyno # where that cam and heads made right around 375-400 hp with a 302 shortblock. Only question is the comp ratio? What is it with those heads on a 289 and how did you go about getting that ratio, whatever it may be.

TheEvII said:
A little more gear wouldn't hurt but you definately need a stall.
That cam and intake would not respond well to more gear IMO.
It will rev out of it's optimum rpm range too quickly and compound traction issues.
If a larger cam or single plane intake were introduced, then more gear would be in order.
The same thing hold true for a stall converter. You are supposed to use a stall 500 to 1000 rpm below the start of useable torque... So if his cam and intake start at 1500 rpm, which is probably about right, then you don't need much if any converter. That would just remove useable rpm from the pavement and shorten the power curve... same effect as steep gears.
Dave

ratio411 said:
That cam and intake would not respond well to more gear IMO.
It will rev out of it's optimum rpm range too quickly and compound traction issues.
If a larger cam or single plane intake were introduced, then more gear would be in order.
The same thing hold true for a stall converter. You are supposed to use a stall 500 to 1000 rpm below the start of useable torque... So if his cam and intake start at 1500 rpm, which is probably about right, then you don't need much if any converter. That would just remove useable rpm from the pavement and shorten the power curve... same effect as steep gears.
Dave
I agree 100%. Ther's too many out there that don't fully understand just what a stall converter does. I've heard quite a few on street cars that sounded like they were doing full-on strip runs, but were moving slow as molasses. If I was him, I'd leave the converter as is. The stock converter on my 68 Merc does just fine behind the warmed slightly 390. :nice: