Should i be disappointed?

jstanger89

May 27, 2004
NE PA
I ran a best 13.97 @ 101 mph with my jlt cai and sct 93 tune from cj pony's. nothing else is done to the car but i was kinda expecting a little better. was i kidding myself? or is something not right.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a pretty wide open question.

Was this your first time at the track?
What was your 60' time?
Stock tires, slicks, or ????
What was your launch method?
Auto or manual?
If manual, do you have experience with it?

I could probably ask a ton more questions but, IMHO, if you are sort of new to drag racing then any 13 second run with just a cai and tune is not too bad at all :nice: Back in the day, a 13 second run was something for Hemi's and Cobra Jets.

yes you should be dispointed my car 2006 mustang gt ran a 13.87 on stock tires and 26 psi in the rear tires and everything bone stock you should be runing into the mid 13s try reducing the air pressure or maybe you got a bad tune

Definitely need more info. 60', 1/8th time, etc... I'm guessing you're getting a bad launch. But then again, your 1/4 time and MPH match pretty well. Your MPH indicates about a 13.6 run with perfect launch and conditions, but otherwise should be 13.7-13.8. It could be your tune. Please post up all the info from the slip, or scan the slip in.

can't find the 13.97 slip but here's the info for a 13.99
60' 2.195
330 6.008
1/8 9.120
MPH 79.41
1000 11.76
1/4 13.992
MPH 101.32

street tires with whatever air is in the back. honestly haven't touched the car much only owned it a couple weeks and it only has 4500 miles on it. i did turn off the trac control and i was launching it at 3000 rpm. i was shifting at 5500 rpm because i made one pass shifting at 6000 rpm like my 5.0 and i ran a 14.14. any .02 are appreciated. my biggest concern is the mph seemed low to me. oh yeah full tank of gas and with me in it car weighed in at 3720 lbs. i go 270 lbs so not much i can do about that.

I'd say get a different tune. Your 60' has much room for improvement, but you should still be trapping higher. Your tune is not breathing well higher.

2 more things. Auto or stick? What RPM are you shifting at? Try a Bamachips tune. That should knock a few tenths off.

There's your problem. I kinda figured it might be that. You should be shifting around 6200 or 6300 or so. I could tell from your traps that the top wasn't breathing well. It's actually because you weren't taking it to the top. Try that out. :)

And manuals and autos on the S197 are both 5 speed. ;)

I think that whether you are disappointed has more factors than you have mentioned. I have several tracks in my area that give different results that make comparisons across the country hard to be realistic. I have raced at Rockingham which is 200 ft above sea level and at Bristol which is appx 3000 ft above sea level and I can tell you they give very different results. There is also a track in my area that is supposedly 1/8 mile but I actually believe it is short of that.

I can remember times that I have raced at Bristol and been disappointed with my slips but when I found out modifications to other cars that I had outrun, I realized my car was running pretty good afterall.

How did your car compare to others that ran at the same time, I believe that is a good determination of whether or I would be disappointed. The heat is also a factor this time of year as my best times have been in the cooler weather. I also believe that you have recieved good advice about 60 ft times and the shift points. Your 60 ft times are better than mine with stock tires.:D