Should I get a scattershield?

In the near future I'll be getting a TKO500, which means I'll need a new bellhousing. People have told me I should get a scattersheild which to my knowledge is an SFI approved bellhousing. My question is, do I really need a scattershield? Right now all I have are Edelbrock heads/intake with an e-cam (see sig), but a Vortech SC-trim is in my future plans... Would a scattershield be a good investment, or would the stock aluminum TKO bellhousing work just fine? I just don't want to spend the extra money of a scattershield and extended clutch fork if I don't really need one... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

1990LXDropTop said:
In the near future I'll be getting a TKO500, which means I'll need a new bellhousing. People have told me I should get a scattersheild which to my knowledge is an SFI approved bellhousing. My question is, do I really need a scattershield? Right now all I have are Edelbrock heads/intake with an e-cam (see sig), but a Vortech SC-trim is in my future plans... Would a scattershield be a good investment, or would the stock aluminum TKO bellhousing work just fine? I just don't want to spend the extra money of a scattershield and extended clutch fork if I don't really need one... :shrug:

If you intend to run it into the 10.99's you need it.

The odds of something happening are slim to none BUT you NEVER know. I run the mcleod sfi bell and extended fork. I run an aluminum flywheel so if it ever broke, maybe it won't hurt as much since its much lighter than a stock iron one :D j/k

So should I get one? I don't plan on running 10.99 or lower in my daily driven convertible. My car has never seen the track, but I do plan to run it in the future just to see what it will run. I'm shooting for mid-high 12's with the supercharger. So, should I spend the extra $$ on a scattershield? If so, where can I get the Mcleod SFI bellhousing?

FMS and McLeod are the same thing. Nice part is that they are indexed at the factory. However, to my understanding, they are not certified for 10.99 and below. The Lakewood is certified but is not indexed. You will need offset dowel pins. Also, the Lakewood is known to be a bit more hassle to install, especially with long tubes. I decided to run the McLeod because I do not intend to run at the track, ease of installation, and piece of mind that my legs won't get hacked off. If you need places to check for the bell then check out: D&D, X2C Motorsports, and I think I saw Mustangsunlimited with a pretty good price on them (surprising I know). Remember, the McLeod bell is the also the Ford Motorsport bell. If you go that route then get the extended Pro-Motion fork from Anderson. Good luck. :nice:

tunedin302 said:
FMS and McLeod are the same thing. Nice part is that they are indexed at the factory. However, to my understanding, they are not certified for 10.99 and below. The Lakewood is certified but is not indexed. You will need offset dowel pins. Also, the Lakewood is known to be a bit more hassle to install, especially with long tubes. I decided to run the McLeod because I do not intend to run at the track, ease of installation, and piece of mind that my legs won't get hacked off. If you need places to check for the bell then check out: D&D, X2C Motorsports, and I think I saw Mustangsunlimited with a pretty good price on them (surprising I know). Remember, the McLeod bell is the also the Ford Motorsport bell. If you go that route then get the extended Pro-Motion fork from Anderson. Good luck. :nice:

I checked out Mustangs Unlimited and X2C and they only sell the Lakewood. I looked on the D&D website and it says they have an SFI approved bellhousing for $299, but it does not state which brand it is.

tunedin302 said:

Very good post!!! Don't go with the lakewood!! You need a new bell either way with your TKO....(btw, I love mine) the macloud SFI bell in my Cobra was $100 more than the alu one. Cheap ins I say.
Hope this helps!

Try Booze Brothers Racing
5020 Molly Pitcher Highway
P.O. Box 3
Marion, Pa 17235
717-375-4839

Although I know Charlie is leaving for the NMRA event tomorrow morning but someone will be at the shop.