Should I get the K&N FIPK or JLT RAI kit for 04 Cobra?

I did a search yesterday and read a lot of good things about the FIPK kit on the new Cobras. But then some people mentioned the JLT Cold Air. I would not go with the one that goes in the fenderwell do to living in Florida where we get a lot of rain and I had problems with my 99 GT with the filter getting wet. Which one makes the most power? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I love my FIPK. The JLT I believe is a fenderwell mount, sooo? With the KN I have much better throttle, a bit more power, and one hellacious scream from the eaton when you get on it. Man, I love that sound.

The JLT does come with a ram air intake too, but to get the ram air effect you have to take the headlight out. However it also includes a heat shield so even though it sits in the engine bay, it doesn't get too hot.

There are 2 different JLT intakes for the Cobra, the "True CAI" and the "RAI". The "True CAI" is an "In Fender" unit and the "RAI" is the standard under hood model. Both the K&N FIPK and the JLT RAI give about the same performance and are within a HP or two of each other depending on who's doing the testing, but they do have a couple significant differences. The K&N FIPK has a heat sheild that seals against the bottom of the hood and helps keep engine heat out of the intake. The JLT RAI is completely open and unprotected under the hood. The K&N FIPK is C.A.R.B. certified for all you tree huggers if that makes any difference. The JLT RAI filter does not have a metal cap on the end of it like the K&N FIPK does, so by removing the passenger headlight you can get a small ram-air effect going with the JLT unit. Whether that makes any performance difference is debatable.

JLT CAI
tn_pipe%20006.jpg

JLT RAI
tn_SONIC_RAI.jpg

K&N FIPK
MU-2056.JPG

Hope this helps...

U.M.

I have the FIPK with the BBK Inlet. To get them to mount together, had to lose the shield on the FIPK. Dyno'd at Haney's in Ralegh, NC hood up, hood down, made no difference.... my experience, YMMV.....
BBKInlet2.JPG