Should I let her drive my baby?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
My girlfriend of 4+ years wants to drive my 68 to work one day. She's just getting used to driving a standard. When I let her drive it, I go with her, and she seems to drive it pretty good, she never kills it anymore. But I still worry about her having it for a whole day by herself.

I told her if she wrecks it, she's buying my a cowl hood and an R-model valance and billet grille!!

Discuss.

• Sponsors (?)

who do you care about more, the girl or the Stang? I let my wife drive the B!t ch whenever she wants, and I let my son play in there for hours, even though he smudges teh glass all up, messes up all my mirror and AC settings, and leaves empty beer bottles in teh backseat, etc.

65fastback2+2 said:
I let a 16 year old who didnt have a license drive my 20 grand 65 FB on wet streets.

That doesn't really apply, unless he has the exact income and mindset as you.

Personally, I would flat out say "No. You know noone drives my baby except me." obviously I would have told her that previously at some point. Of course to me, it isn't just a vehicle, and chicks (most) don't understand. I mean, if she really passionate about it, she would get her own.

pabear89 said:
:nono: When I let My Girl friend drive my 73 Gran Torino Spt
4sp, i found out later that she was out racing in it. :rolleyes:

:D She's the Wife now.

PB

good call pabear:D:D:D 68, for me it would depend on how much i trusted her driving, and judgement, if you trust her, then by all means let her drive it, if not then..........................................

I wouldn't let my gf drive mine, not so much because she isn't the best driver in the world, but if she were to be in an accident as a result of somewthing I did to the car I'd feel like shet. Manual steering, manual brakes, stiff clutch, rowdy engine, the list goes on--its just not a good car for a girl to drive. If it were a stock engine, auto trans, with power steering and brakes it *might* be a little different.

Now I haven't even driven my stang yet, however I agree its just a car. The way I look at it nothing I can do to it cant be fixed... Even if fixing it far outweighs the value of the car. Nonetheless Im sure she'd be careful with it but its your call.

I always told my girlfriend (now wife) 'trust me, you wouldn't like driving it. The 30 yr old clutch is really tough to engage, and the manual steering is hard to drive'.

Not that I don't have confidence in her driving ability (she learned to drive in Metro DC, and if you can drive there, you can drive anywhere), but driving a 30 year old classic is a bit different than driving a two year old civic in ALL aspects.