Should I let my mustang go?

sbelyo

Jun 10, 2005
Well fellow forum members I need help...

I have an issue I must deal with sooner or later. I have 2 cars, and 1 will have to go.

Car #1
2001 Mustang GT Premuim
See signature below for mods

I have driven this car everyday since 2001 and bought it new. It has never let me down and started every time I've tried it. In 120K miles it's only needed maintenance and two services. One for the intake manifold recall (Who hasn't needed that?) and the second was for the ABS computer.

About 3200 miles ago I replaced the entire front suspension with 04 Cobra parts and CC paltes. I have driven it less now that I have car number 2

Car# 2
1993 Mazda RX-7 (Factory twin turbo car)
Motor has 15K on it and compression test show near new numbers
Just did a major service to it totaling $6.5K
Mods:
Downpipe
All vacuum hoses replaced with silicone
99 Spec turbos
Slotted rotors, SS hoses, and race pads
Larger all metal radiator
Replaced all fluids in drivetrain w/synthetic
Oil pan brace

This car is way too fun to drive. Now that it's properly tuned it's FAST. For those of you that know what this car is, you know why I can't make a decision. The interior is mint. The car handles better than anything I've driven so far. It only weighs 2800 pounds and can reach 60 in under 4.5 (just my guess). 0 - 100 is not much higher.

I just don't know wich one to keep?

Help....

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to see picks of the RX-7. That was the first year of the last body style. Without seeing pics, I would say keep the RX-7 if its as mint as you say it is. Those cars have some of the sexiest body lines Ive ever seen on a car from its time period. Plus it doesn't take much to rip some horsepower outta that little rotary:D

rx7

+1 keep the rx7. i've owned 8 mustangs in my life, currently a 65, 83, 89, and 05. I love mustangs which is why i watch this site, but i have to tell you, keep the rx7 for the value alone. a 120k mile 01 gt. i owned a 99 and loved it but was able to let it go. save the coin til you can put some classic tags and insurance on the rx7 then buy an s197. i love it everytime i drive my 05, and it only has a cai. way better than the 99.

The population report suggests that there was only 401 produced in this trim.

There are guys pulling 500 HP from the 1.3L rotary with no problem, but I'm not about to mess with it as it is too fast to begin with.

My original plan was to put a LS2 in it, but the twin turbos convinced me to keep it stock.

Here's the RX-7:
93FD.JPG

Nice car! Very difficult decision to make. I always did like those RX7's. I think you've already made your decision. Seem like your leaning towards the RX7. I can't tell you if that's the right choice to make. Ask yourself which one you can live without. I wouldn't look at which one is worth more money. Cars are not good investments unless you have something really rare. Keep the one that makes you the happiest. Pearl02.

I have to slightly disagree here.

I do agree that of the 2 cars the RX-7 has more value. But by getting rid of the Stang that makes the RX-7 your DD thus negating all the reasons for keeping it. So if you ditch the Stang I would suggest getting some cheap reliable transportation as a DD because there is no way you should be driving this car everyday and racking up miles.

I would keep the RX-7. I had a Mica Yellow R1 and loved that thing. It was a beast and was the most predictable and neutral car I have ever drivin. You know exactly whats going on when tossing it in a corner. But they are thirsty and sensative to heat so a cheap DD would be in order as well. The value on 3rd gen RX-7s has pretty much held steady for 5 years now so it wont go up but its still worth 3x as much as the Stang :nice:

EDIT: Is that a R1? I see the R1 spoilers and no sun roof. R1s are worth some money, if that is a R1 then there is no doubt, keep it!

Laser, if I'm not mistaken, I see a sunroof in the picture. Notice the line on the roof close to the windshield.

That said, keep the RX-7. Nothing wrong with an auto Mustang with 120k, but I feel that the RX-7 is more superior, value wise.

Or sell both and get a Termi. :nice:

You may be right. I thought that was just the reflection. They had base models that year too that were pretty much identical to the R1 just without the wings, braces, shocks and dual oil coolers. But if that has the moon roof then it has leather and Bose. I liked the Tourings better because they were more cofertable :nice:

I would keep the RX-7. I had a Mica Yellow R1 and loved that thing. It was a beast and was the most predictable and neutral car I have ever drivin. You know exactly whats going on when tossing it in a corner. But they are thirsty and sensative to heat so a cheap DD would be in order as well. The value on 3rd gen RX-7s has pretty much held steady for 5 years now so it wont go up but its still worth 3x as much as the Stang :nice:

EDIT: Is that a R1? I see the R1 spoilers and no sun roof. R1s are worth some money, if that is a R1 then there is no doubt, keep it!

Nope, it's a touring model. The sunroof is there, the light is hitting it funny I guess. I'm not sure if it's an R1 spoiler or not. It may be, since that's the first thing everyone replaces

Thanks for your insight. My wife has a car too that she only uses to take the kids back and forth to school. So that in a sense will be my bad weather ride to work. I only work 7 miles from home, so for now it seems to work out for keeping the RX-7.

Hate to say it, but.... Ditch the auto stang, and put some money into decent rims for the RX7.:nice:

I actually like the stock rims. I'm thinking of buying another set and powdercoating them black with a red lip.

Since they're 16" tire prices are way cheaper. The suspension is near perfect, so I'm hesitant to change anything (even tire size).