Should I narrow my rear end on my 66?

LUCAFU1

Founding Member
Apr 19, 2001
Tucson
Ok Ive been search all weekend trying to find out if I have to narrow my housing or not. I have a 9" from a 1958 something so its the same size as the stock 8". My goal is to run slicks in the back, 26" tall tire with about a 285-295 width that is tucked inside the fender. I dont want it sticking out at all. I will be pushing the fenders out as much as possible, also I will be running a MARTZ 4-Link so no more leaf springs in the way. I will also cut out the wheel area and extend it to the frame. BTW I also will be running disc brakes in the back from DFBRAKES.com if that make some diference.

So can i get them to tuck in and not rub? Or should I narrow the housing? If so how much?

I already have my axles so I would have to get those cut and re-splinned as well.

Ive done alot of searching but I am looking for a tucked rear wheel. Not to many of those around in the size I want.

Thanks

Luis

• Sponsors (?)

you should have no problem finding a deep backspace rim. I dont know how much room you will get with the inner fender mods but it should be atleast an inch or more. but if for some reason the axle doesnt look like it gonna fit then You would buy the rims and tires that you want and then narrow the axle to fit as needed.

thanks for the reply but after i weld up the martz kit and put together the rear i dont want to take it out.

I guess im looking to see if anyone else has some info or to find out how much to get it narrowed,

Mayb you could call an after market rear manufacture, I am told the can pull all that stuff in a computer, so tell them what size tire and brakes you want to run, and the'll tell you what size everything should be, then go with it.

I would call Curries and ask those questions. If you decideto narrow, you'll be better off using a different rear to start with. The '58 rear that you have is valuable as-is. You could sell it and buy a cheap core and have just about enough cash left over to pay for the narrowing. If you try to narrow the '58 rear, you'll run into at least one problem. The axles are tapered and can't be narrowed. You'd have to replace them with new aftermarket ones or get replacement cores for narrowing. Do some measuring to be sure you can fit that big of a tire. I thought the 65-66s weren't very generous in the fender areas.

If you want to run a 15x10 then you will need a weld drag light with a 7.5 backspace. Weld also has a 15x9 that has a 5.5 backspace but you would need to use a 26x9 slick.. And from what Ive heard Bogart can custom make a rim to your spec.

Thanks everyone.
Yep I was planning to go with bogarts. I keep hearing that the 58 housings are pretty weak, im wondering if I can brace it in any way. I kow they sell them to weld on but the martz stuff will be in the way. I already have moser 31 splines on it and hopefulley they have long splinned ends so i can cut it without having to re spline them. I will narrow an inch on each side and go from there.

yeah the wheel well in the 65-66 are really sad, but after i work it with a plasma cutter and saw zaw it will be big enough.

Thank you

Luis

It all depends on how much HP/TQ you plan on putting to it. If you're around the 400 mark, I don't think you'll have a problem. A back brace on the housing wouldn't hurt, but if it's a weld on type, I think you need to have a line-up bar in it when it's welded so it doesn't warp, that or do short welds, skipping back and forth giving the welds time to cool.

Personally, I wouldn't narrow the housing, but it might make pulling the wheels out more difficult if it isn't.

i wonder if I can get a bar like you said or maybe rent one. Ill be bracing it for sure since im going to be making 900-1000 at the wheels. i talked to a local guy here and since my axles have 4" of threads those will be cake and $125 to narrow the housing. i cut and ground of the spring perched after i got out of school so i will drop it off shortly.

I will be narroing it an inch on each side but i could probably do two from what i was told.
any recomendations? would 2 inches on each side be to much you think with the wheel well area opened up and no leafs.
so for all the newb questions but ive been working on fox bodies and up. im tired of the cobra and this is my project to keep me busy while i finish school.
i just want to do it right.

Also why wouldnt you shorten it? Im just curious.

Luis

Jeez, if you're going to make that much, I'd get a big web truck housing and not mess with that housing. I've seen the car housings that don't have the tapered tubes bend with much less horsepower than that. If you're having it shortened, it shouldn't matter what housing you take him, other than the truck housing will have big ends on it. I'd get new billet steel ends, the local guy should have something in stock, and he should have a rear end narrowing jig that would have the lineup bar, if he doesn't, I'd look somewhere else to have it narrowed. I'd have him do the back brace as well, but he needs to see the Martz piece to know what he's getting involved with. If it were me, I'd have him do everything to the housing that needs to be done, then take it to the powder coaters. He should be able to jig everthing up to where it's square and true. My buddy has a chassis shop here south of OKC in Moore, so that's why I have some knowledge in this area. Also, 31 spline seems a little light for 900-1000 HP, I think I'd be running 35 spline axles.