Should I Paint?

callmedrlove

Jan 25, 2007
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Here's my question: should I get the whole car painted, or just paint the damaged areas?

I drive a 94 cobra, crystal white. It's had some dings...my parking brake slipped and caused the cobra to roll down a hill and hit a hydrant, and I got rear-ended and the other driver sped away. And the passenger rear quarter panel clear coat is chipping away. Other than that, every now and again when the light hits just right, it looks like a couple spots are yellowing. I can't ever tell if it's my eyes or if it's the paint though.

Aside from the obvious front and rear bumpers and rear quarter panels, the paint looks probably like most 16 year old paint jobs. Nice and shiny, but not quite show room quality. Thank ya!

• Sponsors (?)

paint the whole car. it will be hard for them to blend in the damaged areas to the factory paint and it will probably show the difference in colors if you tried. If your not changing the color then it shouldn't be too much more to paint the whole thing.

Just got my first estimate for the new paint job. I'm going to look around to try to make sure a fair price, though. The first place quoted me roughly $2700 to get a factory finish. Makes me really wish I knew how to paint a car myself.

Yeah I agree with everyone else on this. Our red 93 hatchback had only half of it painted when it was damaged before. Only a few years down the road and the new paint faded pretty bad whereas the factory paint held up. You can really see where it was feathered.

Yeah just paint the whole thing. If you really are worried about messing it up, get some scuffing paste, some water and some grey scuffing pads. They are more forgiving of heavy hands and they will scuff the body well enough for paint. 500 or 600 wet will also work well, but it's easier to dig a groove into the finish if you aren't careful enough (still not that big of a risk though).

The whole car will look so new and spiffy once it's done you'll be glad you did it. It gives you a chance to take care of all of the rock chips and little flaws like that too. New white paint looks great too!