should i retard my cam when im swappin out my intake

HazMat404

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
well sometime this spring im swappin out my cobra for a street heat. i figure seeing its already open that i should retard my e303. ive been told that it should be around 4* retarded. now ive heard this from many of people. i wouldnt mind some reasoning for it but just a yes will do if it needs to be done. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

well i think that retarding the cam will up the range of usable rpms (something like that i think). well with my 4.10's and stick, shouldnt i retard it at least 4*?? hopefully someone can shed some info

The guy to ask would be fiveotony. He runs an E-cam that has been retarded. I think for it being a street car, it wouldn't be worth retarding. You would loose more low end power than you already have, and your shift point would be raised up to almost the 6k range, which is starting to ask for trouble. Tony may say something else, but from just looking at the situation, I don't think it would be the greatest idea for a street car.

Joe

as far as I know... for every degree you retard a cam it moves youre power band up around 100rpm. For every degree you advance it it moves it down about 100rpm. You could possibly make more power by opening the intake valve earlier, but I dont know that much about the 5.0 to make that statement.