Should I weld my Magnaflows?

hexum311

Apr 26, 2004
FL
I just got my Magnaflows in from the partshopper, which I might add shipped to my house in 1 day! Anyway I searched through the forums and read about the good old problem with the tips moving. Some said lock tight and some said weld. I was thinking about just getting the whole system welded together, not just the tip bracket. I don't particluarly care for screwing an exhaust set up together, seems like it should be welded air tight. Is this the best thing to do, am I wrong? Has anyone else done this? :shrug: Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think I would weld the entire system together...there is always some adjustment that will need to be done given time. I would spot weld the tips on. Being able to remove the system at later date is always better than having to hack it all up with a saw. I have the Magnapack system going on as we speak and thats what I plan to do. I have gone through 3 sets of catback, Mac, Flowmaster, and Magnaflow...by far the magnaflow is the best quality of all 3. Good Choice bud! :)

I have the same problem w/ my tips. If you get the tips spot welded at a shop let me know what they charged for the fix. I really hate tighting them every week, but i'm not gonna pay a ton for such a simple job. Thanks

I think the major cause of the allen screw loosening is vibration which is amplified by that long adjustment bar. What I did with mine is put a small section of fuel line hose over the end of it. This keeps the bar from vibrating. I have never had an issue with the screw coming loose on my Magnaflow catback.

I have always welded my entire exhaust on all my vehicles. Never deal with stuff loosening, moving, or clamps scraping on anything, or nasty sounded exhaust leaks. This has been on lowered vehicles, lifted 4x4's, Muscle Cars, and my 00 Mustang GT. Of course I can buy a mandrel bent exhaust system and weld it up myself, so If you hav to dish out $$ all the time you might jes want to thread lock your clamps and hope it doesnt leak or loosen. :D