Show me your CAI on 99-04 GTs

96Forged281

Dec 10, 2002
I want a different intake, the one I have now is a open filter sitting where the air box used to be. It was with the car when I bought it so I dont know what brand it is.

But it cant be getting any cooler air

• Sponsors (?)

Just a cheap EBAY CAI with a K&N filter. Paid $52 with shipping for CAI and replaced filter about a year later and the K&N was like $65.
100_4535.jpg

Its metal, and it also came painted blue too. I could not pass up the deal. I was going to buy a BBK, but they cost so much more. If I was buying a new one know, I would go with the JLT CAI, I have read good things about them. They cost too, like the BBK. I think as long as the filter is in the fenderwell you will be alright.

Hur ya go
02nightmaregt-albums-nightmare-picture163-engine-1.jpg

It an AEM Brute Force. It s not bad. I know its alum. but i've had not heat problems with it, and that with multiple 700+ mile trips. Oh that piece welded on to it is because when i was installing it it had a hole there fot an ait(if it were a 99-01) sensor and my buddy dropped an lost the plug

I think as long as the filter is in the fenderwell you will be alright.

Not necessarily. Having a bend in the pipe right in front of the MAF is where some people have problems. The air rushing in comes around the bend and tends to stay against the back wall of the pipe. This can cause the MAF to read less air, therefore leaning out the air/fuel, which gives a small power gain, but also increases the chance for detonation.

If you want the filter in the fenderwell, the JLT or a style like it is the way to go because the MAF is put in the fenderwell and the filter connects to it just like any other. Then you get proper distibution of airflow over the MAF sensor.

Not necessarily. Having a bend in the pipe right in front of the MAF is where some people have problems. The air rushing in comes around the bend and tends to stay against the back wall of the pipe. This can cause the MAF to read less air, therefore leaning out the air/fuel, which gives a small power gain, but also increases the chance for detonation.

If you want the filter in the fenderwell, the JLT or a style like it is the way to go because the MAF is put in the fenderwell and the filter connects to it just like any other. Then you get proper distibution of airflow over the MAF sensor.

+1 good call!!

i know on turbo cars you can turn the MAF and get differant results, never thought about it NA..

Well my maf read the same before and after the install (Filter in the fender), made some good numbers too. I was having problems on the dyno when getting it tuned b/c the air temp was too cool and caused the maf to ping out. after getting the air temp up the car made even better numbers. I think I made 7-10 w/ the cold air and another 15 on my 89 tune.:nice:

+1 i was gonna say the same thing, good thing i read first.