Side gapping

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
Ok, before the crash there was a thread here about side gapping spark plugs. I had originally intended to come relate my findings but I guess I'll have to remake the thread to do that.

So I tried this tonight on my 94 GT. Took out the old Bosch Platinum +4s (yeah, yeah, I know. I got rid of them, ok?) and put in some side gapped Autolite 25s. I definitely noticed a better throttle response. Acceleration may be a bit better but I didnt have enough time to play around to really tell for sure.

For anyone thinking about it, give it a try. It didnt take too long and you dont really have anything to lose.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah did it to mine and although I didn't notice SOTP difference horsepowerwise it possibly seems a bit snappier and has a slightly better idle. I did it to my existing plugs. But for something that's free, and since there's nothing to lose I'll do it every time I change plugs.

Check ur plugs after you have side gapped them and run them like that....
...it arcs all over the plug and after a week or soo will trash ur plugs

..just run platinum plugs and gap them @ min of specs, cuz after running them for a while the gap will open a degree or two.

xkuntrycowboyx said:
Check ur plugs after you have side gapped them and run them like that....
...it arcs all over the plug and after a week or soo will trash ur plugs

..just run platinum plugs and gap them @ min of specs, cuz after running them for a while the gap will open a degree or two.
Why platinum. People should run copper its better for power and makes a better spark. Platinum is only for longevity.

Only thing I have against platinum plugs is that I've never heard anyone say anything good about them. :shrug:

As for the wear issue, I'm sure the will wear faster. I'll have to keep check on it, but for $10 and 2 hours to change a set of plugs its no big deal to me.

thanks.. i didn't know about platinums...but what i was saying is.... side gapping is crap and bad. It will run ur plug and arc to the sides of the plugs. more spark will not cause more combustion, the amount of combustion is decided on the amount of fuel provided for combustion. The spark just ignites it...and if ur arcing all over the place you don't have a good solid spark to ignite, and the arcing ruins the plugs.

...correct me if i am wrong

xkuntrycowboyx said:
thanks.. i didn't know about platinums...but what i was saying is.... side gapping is crap and bad. It will run ur plug and arc to the sides of the plugs. more spark will not cause more combustion, the amount of combustion is decided on the amount of fuel provided for combustion. The spark just ignites it...and if ur arcing all over the place you don't have a good solid spark to ignite, and the arcing ruins the plugs.

...correct me if i am wrong
Actually, I would think that if side gapping does shorten the life of your plugs (which I’m sure it does to a degree) that is not because the spark is arching in different places on the plug. That is how a plug operates normally, the spark not always landing in the same spot, thus increasing its longevity. When side gapping, the electrode is going only spark off the one side closest to the ground strap. So for that reason, I could see losing some plug life but not because of the spark arcing to different places on the plug.

94MustangGT5.0 said:
Actually, I would think that if side gapping does shorten the life of your plugs (which I’m sure it does to a degree) that is not because the spark is arching in different places on the plug. That is how a plug operates normally, the spark not always landing in the same spot, thus increasing its longevity. When side gapping, the electrode is going only spark off the one side closest to the ground strap. So for that reason, I could see losing some plug life but not because of the spark arcing to different places on the plug.

Yah I would like to get down to the bottom of this. Anyone else have input on this? I would agree with 94MustangGT5.0 on this one but man I have no experience in the area. Although, I thought you can get plugs that come side gapped. If that's the case I don't think it would cause arching like that. However, you just never now.

xkuntrycowboyx said:
and Chronos... it shouldn't take 2hrs to change ur plugs man!!!!

I still have all the emissions crap on my engine. Makes it hard to get to some of the plugs, especially on the passenger side. Passenger side rear plug is that worst because its just inches from the EGR hardware.

1. It should only take around 30 minutes to change plugs.

2. Yes, you can get plugs already side-gapped, but not to the extent that I prefer.

3. Yes, it shortens plug life. It is not "crap", though. Mine have been running strong for a couple of months now. I've checked them... they are fine.

4. For the difference I've noticed, if they go bad tomorrow, it will still be a worthwhile mod to me.... simply because they're so cheap & easy to replace.

5. I think they will last a good while longer....especially longer than most would think.

Kenne Bell has stopped recommending the platinum plugs as they do not last with octane or fuel additives. I also put in a set of autolites yesterday gapped at .025 (I think) and there really isn't a way to gap that small and maintain the electrode parallel to the conductor.. Oh well, I will see how it runs..

BTW I put in a set of the Bosch plats in my old Vette (NOW that was a PITA, about 4 hours for that stupid job!) and the car ran like crap.; I replaced them with cheap NGK's and it ran great again