Side Molding NOT STICKING

Mavrick

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
Collingwood, ON
Problem is, my side moldings are peeling off.

Well, when i bought the car they were a little off, but i guess since the moisture etc has gotten to them, they are coming off and curling up.

I really need to fix this for next year, what is the best way to fix them so they won't do this all over again?

• Sponsors (?)

Your best bet is peeling them off of the car and laying them flat on a work bench upside down. Then take a heat gun or a propane torch and Heat up the two sided tape on it and peel off the tape with a small pair of visegrips attached to the metal strip.The metal strip is part of the tape.Just be very carefull and don't burn the moulding itself. Once all cleaned off clean the moulding with lacquer thinner and get some 3M Two sided tape and apply it to the moulding and reapply the molding to the car. When you remove the moulding from the car it will be all bent up and out of shape. Don't worry about it as it will straighten itself out once you get the tape off of it.Some times it takes a couple of days to straighten itself out. When you peel it off start at the end that's peeling and pull it in a even manner towards the opposite end of the moulding like peeling a banana. Nice and smooth. That way you won't destroy it.I've done this many times and it always worked fine for me.

Retro is correct. That is the same way we did mine when we painted my car. Just be sure not to bend the molding too much when you take them off or your paint will crack. Use a hammer and meduim sized putty knife to take them off as straight as you can. We used an air tool that took them off straight as can be in about 10 seconds. Then remove the metal strip like Retro said and clean them up and use some 3m double sided when you are finished. If you can get your hands on an air eraser, that will aid in taking the tape off of the door itself.

Tim

Thanks guy's... the paint is already cracking on the moldings, as they weren't painted with the right flex agent paint.

I have an extra set of door moldings in the garage, ill practice on them and see how they come out.

I missed the part about removing the Metal stripping on the back of the moulding :mad: :bang: I've tried for 2 weeks to stop the ends of the moulding from curling off the door with no luck. Oh well I know what I'll be doing today.

Thanks