side scoop removal

• Sponsors (?)

I am having some body work done due to some vandalism. Part of this includes going to Bullitt side scoops. I saw my car just today with the side scoops off. I did not study it (so more knowledgeable Stangnet'ers, please chime in). But I recollect about 8 pins holding it down with a center hole.

I took mine off a couple of weeks ago and wound up breaking some of the brackets on the back of the scoops. These brackets hold the christmas tree clips that secure the scoop to the body. Even after seeing what is back there I'm still not sure how you get them off without damage so maybe the best bet is to have a Ford body shop pop them off for you. I was lucky because I was able to replace them in new condition already painted in my color for only $35 for the pair from a dealer on e-bay who sells some of the Saleen take offs. :notnice:

skywarp said:
I'm thinking of doing this. How many holes are behind the scoop. I also read some where, there is a hole behind it also. Thanks in advance.

I took my off temporarily to replace the grills with some much better looking ones (see CC Mustang). It wasn't too difficult. I just grabbed a hold of them firmly and tugged. Kind of like interior trim panels.

The rear quarter panel has four small holes for the four clips which hold on the scoop, and one very large hole. Team Mustang was asked, and apparently this large hole is required during assembly. Also, the large side hole on SN95 Mustangs was used as part of the functional side scoops found on the '94 and '95 models.

Stangsgrl said:
has anyone else done this?? I'm wondering what it looks like with no side scoops....

You mean with leaving all the holes in the rear quarter panel, which are usually covered up by the side scoops, exposed?

BTW, excellent color choice!!! :nice:

I've removed my stock side scoops a couple of times lately, because I temporarily installed the Bullitt side scoops.

If your 2000 is anything like my 2002, then there are lots of holes, and one very large hole (several inches wide) underneath.

I was not happy with the way the Bullitt side scoops fit, and the fact that you have to use 2-sided tape or epoxy or something because they have no attachments in the front. Also, the 2-sided tape did not seem to be working well on one of them, so I removed it, and the next day the scoop flew off, so I threw away the other one as well.

So now I have the stock side scoops on again.

I will probably just remove the stock side scoops, but this time cover the holes with fiberglass resin, sand the fiberglass resin, and then paint it or get a body shop to paint it.

The stock side scoops on my 2002 were fairly easy to remove. I just pulled hard on them and they popped off. However, I did damage some of the rear attachments on one of them, but I was still able to re-attach it later.

hmmm seems like more trouble than it's worth almost....
i guess i'll just only get rid of the fake hood scoop w/ a new hood :nice: plus i already have a nice chip on the front edge of the hood, all the paint is gone....

btw thanks i love the color!

Saleen Side Scoops

Saleen Side Scoops Bolt on from the inside of your car with 6 hex bolts. Its a pain to take apart your car to get back there. Its near impossible to rip them off your car without distroying the scoop.

Attachments

• normanclimber2.jpg
    normanclimber2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 429