side scoops

windsoreight

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Ocean City, MD
Just wanted to let anyone interested in side scoops. Mustangs Unlimited finally has them back in stock. I know they were on an 8 month back order. I just ordered them 2 days ago. They showed up today and look pretty good. Only thing is they screwed me out of the attaching hardware. I gave them a call and they are sending it right out.

• Sponsors (?)

Are those open or closed face, what I mean is are they functional or just for looks? From what I can see the look to be open-faced and will catch alot of air unless you duct it through the fender somehow.

They are open. Really unless you have some performance rear brakes you would not need them to be functional. But I guess if you were roadracing and had big disc's on the back you could do it. Otherwise I don't know why you would need them to be functional.

If there open what happens to all the air they catch. Wouldn't that be like opening the front of my hood scoop and not cutting a hole in the hood. At freeway speeds couldn't they just be pulled from the car by the air they catch.

I don't think that would be much of a problem. As long as they are mounted securely. They are pretty heavy fiberglass. I guess if you were that worried you could drill some holes in the quarter. I have seen plenty of hood scoops on car that were open in the front and the air had nowhere to go. They are tight to the side of the car. I doubt that they get the full force of the air while driving. I guess I will found out.

Personally I think it depends upon how much you drive the car. If you want to drive the car on the road often then you should probably do something to relieve the airflow. Of course I don't know how thick the scoops are made but I don't think I've bought a single fiberglass part that I felt was overly durable.

d

Do the scoops fit inside the indentation, or do they fit on the outside? Do you have to fibre-glass the scoops to get a clean look or are they okay with just the mounting hardware. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there is a flat lip around the scoop...

No I haven't installed them yet. However I am sending htem back. I talked to them today. THe passenger side fits perfectly but the driverside is mis cut along the front. It is a 1/4" back on top and a 1/4" over on the bottom. So they arehaving UPS pick them up and sending me a new set with hardware. Make sure they will sit on you are right first.

The passenger side does fit better than the driver side, but I think it will be okay. I will probably have to do alittle finishing on them. When you hold them together can you see the 1/4" difference?

My driver side is so far off there is no way it would look good. I want them to go flush with the end of the door gap. THe passenger scoop is perfect. THe driver scoop is a 1/4 back on top so I would have to add material. And the bottm danm near hits the door when it opens. So I would have to take material off. When they cut it they got the wrong angle. I am not willing to put that much work into them. They said that they can get me a set that fits right. So as long as they flip the shipping bills I am ok waiting for a set that fits right.

I had a set from Tony Branda on my old Ghia for years- stuck on with double sided tape. They were open in front and never blew off.

As for functionality, I have a custom set on my Cobra which are functional. Just for kicks, I ran the air tubing into the car so I could feel how much air it blew while driving. At 65mph, very little. To be effective, the scoops would have to be considerably larger.

The response I just got from MU is that the mounting hardware is no longer included. It doesn't look like it would be too difficult, as there already appears to be four indentations that could be drilled out for mounting hardware (i.e. nuts & bolts).