Side Window Run Channel Weather Stripping Sooooo Tight!!!

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Bought a set of replacement run channel weather strips for my drivers and passenger door's last fall from one of the Mustang resoration companies, since my original were cracked and dry rotted. They're quality pieces, but man are they tight. I can barely get my power window to go up and down. As it is I have to work them back and forth the last inch or so from the top just to get them to close properly.

These are what I'm talking about (highlighted in green) in case you're wondering....

lrs-21596_3911.jpg

I thought they'd conform over time, but they don't seem to be. I'd tried tweaking the window frame, but that hasn't worked. I've even tried spraying the channels with lithium grease, but all that did was make a mess.

Anyone else run into this issue?

• Sponsors (?)

Just an idea, haven't tried it, and don't know if it would work, but how about shimming between the gasket and the window an 1/8 inch or so and hitting it with a heat gun, and letting it cool off several times? Just think that "might" make the rubber learn a little wider clearance.

Dunno. I think I might try trimming the rubber at the front where it feeds into the lower window channel. It seemed like there was a lot more if being fed into the channel with this replacement than my stock one? Perhaps it's causing a "pinch"?

Did these ever get looser over time? I'm installing mine and same deal here. Seems like it's getting pinched where the window runs up near the side mirror.

Window has another 1/4 inch to go...seems like it's getting pinched or my window motor doesn't have enough power. I watched the 5.0 resto video they make it look easier than it is.

Sad to say, but no it hasn't. I'm thinking of opening the door back up and trimming off some of the excess channel that runs into the door track. If I remember right, the new channel was about 4-6" longer where it ran down the inside edges of the door. Beyond that....I just don't know. I tried lithium grease, dish soap, tweeking it. The sad fact, is that it just doesn't fit as well as OE. :(

Thanks for the help guess ill keep at it. If I get a solution I'll let you know. Seems like a lot of this restoration stuff for our cars are garbage. No need for me to spend 4 hours on a run channel seal. Lol. I opened up the metal trim a little bit. Used silicone grease...BAD IDEA just made a mess. Besides that it looks really nice from the outside.

I was thinking my window motor dosent have enough power. In that 5.0 resto video they said they replaced the motor. I did my passenger side years ago and faintly recall a high torque window
motor. I might look into this. I do not have AC so I need my windows work. I can hold the window back from coming up with minimal force.

I was thinking my window motor dosent have enough power. In that 5.0 resto video they said they replaced the motor. I did my passenger side years ago and faintly recall a high torque window
motor. I might look into this. I do not have AC so I need my windows work. I can hold the window back from coming up with minimal force.

Well....let me put it this way. The window went up and down like butter with my old rubbers in there. The only reason I replaced them at all was because they were cracked in the corners and the wind whistling was driving me nuts. So there shouldn't be any need to replace the window motor? I suspect that you are correct....It's just another case of low standard restoration parts. I've often found that most of the ones that aren't original OE equipment end up like this. Too bad really.

Anybody replace these with a convertible or T-Top car? Any issues with window rolling up after install? Reason I ask is those cars came with the hi tourqe window motors.

Edit: DUH convertible and t-top cars do not have window frames. Lol nevermind :)

oh boy now I am holding off on mine , I took my passenger side from my 93 when it was wrecked and that side
goes up so so I even swapped the motor , the drive side I lost so I bought another but it rolls up and down quick ... I have the new one from 50resto but now I am hesitant

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Mine are still tight too, especially the passenger window. As the passenger window rolls up it tilts forward when it's about halfway up. This causes it to not seal 100% at the top rear portion of the window and so I get some whistling.

I'm not sure if it's a function of the replacement window run channels or a worn out window guide bushing/whatever bushing holds the window in place. Both window motors are new though (~6 months old) so I know that's not the problem. I've soaked it in lithium grease as well with no help.

I got it a lot closer to going to up completely. I've been trimming the back and sides of the rubber which is kinda a PITA. Reson for this it to open up the felt some more where the window goes up; Pinch it less. Like Gerabanger mentioned he was going to try.

New window bushings. New glass bushings. Just a bad run channel design. I'll prolly leave the passenger side alone.

Still a little bit more trimming and I should be OK. Just wanted to give a update and maybe a soution when the next guy pulls his hair out over this.

Mine are still tight too, especially the passenger window. As the passenger window rolls up it tilts forward when it's about halfway up. This causes it to not seal 100% at the top rear portion of the window and so I get some whistling.

I usually just burp the window switch back and forwards a couple of times at the stuck point. It usually makes its way to the top. Just kind of a PITA.

I got it a lot closer to going to up completely. I've been trimming the back and sides of the rubber which is kinda a PITA. Reson for this it to open up the felt some more where the window goes up; Pinch it less. Like Gerabanger mentioned he was going to try.

New window bushings. New glass bushings. Just a bad run channel design. I'll prolly leave the passenger side alone.

Still a little bit more trimming and I should be OK. Just wanted to give a update and maybe a soution when the next guy pulls his hair out over this.
Yeah, I plan on taking another crack and mine. I'm just working on a surging idle issue right now. One problem at a time. :D